Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-06-2006, 08:16 PM   #1
347Stroker
Banned

Default New F250 ordered

Well the time has come for the old XHXR8 to retire from work duties, and be replaced with a new F250 XLT Crew Cab, in gunbower grey....
I really wanted the 7.3 Turbo Diesel, but unfortunatly had to settle for the 5.4 3V. Actually I wanted the Eureka Blue, but seeing Ford are no longer bringing F Series into Australia, I had to buy, what is the very last one new in existance...
Bloody silly Ford dropping the F Series again.....

So, who else has one of these new beauties?
Show us some pics, and let me know how yours has gone, and what sort of problems you have had.
I should be able to pick mine up later this week hopefully, if not, another week wont hurt, but will post up some pics as soon as I get it.

347Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2006, 08:20 PM   #2
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

I know one bloke wanted the last of the older models with the 7.3 Turbo, and he had to go as far as Katherine NT to find one, luckily he has a station near Katherine. He tried all of QLD and had no luck! He had his tray off his old F 250, and he wanted to re-use it so he wanted the old model. Save making a new tray i guess!
Old 11-06-2006, 08:25 PM   #3
347Stroker
Banned

I tried the whole country, and there was only 3 left, 2 of them normal cabs, and mine, the crew cab (4 door 5 seater) Mine is en-route from Fremantle via rail at the moment. The hold up is due to a large rail accident outside lismore. Luckily, mine is not on that train, but the one after, so the line closed has held things up. Ford have no intention of bringing any more in I believe, untill maybe the next model, due late 07.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:28 PM   #4
TotalDriver
Dedicated to Safety....

The Ford Dealer at Moree NSW still has a yard full of them apparantly.

The big difference you're going to find is the 7.3's are 4WD, but the 5.4's are only 2WD.

I have a Gunblower Grey 7.3 and it's awesome. You wouldn't believe a Diesel could go so hard.

Pics of it are in the "Show us ya F Series" in the "Show and Shine" forum.

Good luck with it, welcome to the F Truck Club ;)

If you need accessories, like Bullbar, Towbar, Gooseneck Hitch - anything like that, try www.extreme4x4.com.au

Cheers,
Old 11-06-2006, 08:29 PM   #5
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Are you going to put it on gas? My brother inlaw used to own one. It chewed through fuel like no tomorrow. If I remember right? Only 400 or so k's to the tank.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2006, 08:30 PM   #6
347Stroker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalDriver
The Ford Dealer at Moree NSW still has a yard full of them apparantly.

The big difference you're going to find is the 7.3's are 4WD, but the 5.4's are only 2WD.

I have a Gunblower Grey 7.3 and it's awesome. You wouldn't believe a Diesel could go so hard.

Pics of it are in the "Show us ya F Series" in the "Show and Shine" forum.

Good luck with it, welcome to the F Truck Club ;)

If you need accessories, like Bullbar, Towbar, Gooseneck Hitch - anything like that, try www.extreme4x4.com.au

Cheers,
I wish Zannes Bros Ford in Moree did have them, but theres just no stock left in the country. Your truck is worth more second hand now, than what you paid for it...
Old 11-06-2006, 08:32 PM   #7
347Stroker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
Are you going to put it on gas? My brother inlaw used to own one. It chewed through fuel like no tomorrow. If I remember right? Only 400 or so k's to the tank.
Gas......WTF....I am going to get a Whipple Charger for it, and give these boosted 6 guys a scare...nearly 3 tons, and 13 sec passes....
But seriously, I could consider gas, but am undecided at present.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:07 PM   #8
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Belconnen Ford in the ACT gave me a look at another customers F250 a while ago while I was waiting for my service to be finished. Big lift kit and dualies on the back. Certainly had road presence!!!
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2006, 09:29 PM   #9
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well done and look forward to the pics of your new beast...

Gee bet your glad to hear it wasn't on that train then eh.. Would have been sort of irritating since they seem so hard to get hold of...
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 12:28 AM   #10
Wokkas
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Funny you should bring this up. I just got back from picking the old man up from Yunta after his Hwys Dept F-250 had a heart attack.....AGAIN.

Broken valve springs and damaged pistons this time. At this to:

Several destroyed fuel pumps/filters.

ECU's having a fit at the Tin Man servo at Pt Pirie- doors locked themselves, and the horn had a fit. Very embarressing. Only cured by a crow bar to the bonnet and removing the battery terminal.

Fuel tank springing a leak.

Auto trans fluid finding its way into the coolant

I hope for your sake you have actually driven one of these things, and know what they are like. Ie, road holding, and turning circle.

Sorry mate, not very positive, I know, but on a good note, the Hwy's ones are the deisels :
Wokkas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 09:44 AM   #11
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

I have seen many people sell them as soon as warranty runs out... As apparantely it all goes down hill after 100,000...
Old 12-06-2006, 12:01 PM   #12
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darran
I have seen many people sell them as soon as warranty runs out... As apparantely it all goes down hill after 100,000...
..just like everything else which isn't built by the Japanese or Europeans..
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 12:28 PM   #13
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Generally they are as strong as an ox.

There are heaps of them getting around Tassie doing real work, all day every day.

From mine service vehicles, to logging contractors to abalone divers and Tas police force.

The only broken one Ive ever heard of was a Tas Pol one that bent a couple of push rods hauling a 4 tonne boat.

My doctor has one, fifth wheel set up, XLT crew cab, tows a 4 horse semi trailer, thats got accomodation at the front of the trailer for three people !! This thing is absolutely AWSOME. The total on road weight is around 7 tonnes.

Try that with a 4 cyl turbo Nissan Patrol or even the 4.2 lt cruiser.

All types of vehicles crap themselves every now and then, Dont be worried about sone others comments about selling them as soon as the warranty is out, Ford warranty's arent worth poo anyway...................

Your truck will be a goodn, pitty you could only find a piffy petrol one, but having driven them with every engine combo, you'll not be dissapointed in it's performance. It won't be no XR8, but for a block of flats they go good. Heavy drinkers though with only 5.4 lt and 200 KW to move there considerable ***.

I actually thought the I6 Turbo diesel was the nicest combo with the manual tranny, I had one for a week or so and loved it. It felt equally as towey as the big diesel mota, but had less diesel thrash rattle and vibration noise. It had enough pull to drag my 2.6 tonne boat in 4 th gear where my mates GXL 4.2 lt turbo cruiser (as impressive as these things are) needed to be held high in the rpm in third with the same boat. Very very grunty I6.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 12:43 PM   #14
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Deliverd a black one into our sydney dopot over the weekend what a beast of a thing. hope you enjoy yours , they sound awsome when you crank them up.... :Reverend:
cheers.. Whoosha...

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 12:45 PM   #15
jmc-007

Does anyone know if they will sell them new here again. Its a shame the new Euro III emissions laws killed them off.

Or will you have to import one from like American Autos or somewhere ?
jmc-007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 01:29 PM   #16
f6speedster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc-007
Does anyone know if they will sell them new here again. Its a shame the new Euro III emissions laws killed them off.

Or will you have to import one from like American Autos or somewhere ?
I believe that we will be getting the new F series range when released I think late 2007 or 2008. Its wasn't worth for Ford to make the Euro3 changes when a new model was being developed.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:48 PM   #17
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin
..just like everything else which isn't built by the Japanese or Europeans..
Never a truer word spoken..
chich is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 05:35 PM   #18
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

Mates got a F 350 7.3 d with an edit from Horsepower factory HUGE torque and good strong and he also has a lightning drove that and now i have a huge respect for the newer f series range pulled like a 12 year old boy with a PENTHOUSE MAG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
GRNKPR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 06:47 PM   #19
cedric
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my mate has one 225000 km 100000 carrying over two tonnes of gear and trailer over the top end and around australia his is 6 turbo but he has had nothing go wrong and totally loves it. you will get a good run. the truck and motor has been in this model line for maybe 5-8 years and probably sold a couple of million units before yours was made so i'd think they would have them sorted.
cedric is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 11:40 PM   #20
jmc-007

If i get this mining job i want to get an F250 6spd Diesel 4x4 or a typhoon :P

if i get the f250 i want a quad teheheh

but congrats on ur purchase.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:41 PM   #21
jmc-007

Does anyone know why they stopped the I6 Turbo Diesel a few years back ?
Old 13-06-2006, 11:25 PM   #22
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In answer to everyones questions on the F series...

The F series isnt restricted to the same emissions laws as cars, as it is classed as a commercial vehicle.

The 7.3 was discontinued because Navistar stopped producing that engine in 2001. It was replaced by the 6L diesel, and Ford Australia imported F Series trucks from Brazil, where they built versions closer to the US spec for Australia (with stockpiles of 7.3's which were available here till they ran out). In Brazil, you can only order an F250 with the MWM (a derivative of Navistar International) 4.2L Inline 6 diesel which was available in Australia till 2003 then discontinued for sale here. (RM models)

The 6L diesel wont be coming here to replace the 7.3 as it will be replaced by the Common Rail 6.4 next year, which will be coming to Australia soon after. The 6.4 puts out 260kw and 880Nm

The 5.4L V8 versions will still be imported in the mean time I believe...
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2006, 08:38 AM   #23
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
In answer to everyones questions on the F series...

The F series isnt restricted to the same emissions laws as cars, as it is classed as a commercial vehicle.

The 7.3 was discontinued because Navistar stopped producing that engine in 2001. It was replaced by the 6L diesel, and Ford Australia imported F Series trucks from Brazil, where they built versions closer to the US spec for Australia (with stockpiles of 7.3's which were available here till they ran out). In Brazil, you can only order an F250 with the MWM (a derivative of Navistar International) 4.2L Inline 6 diesel which was available in Australia till 2003 then discontinued for sale here. (RM models)

The 6L diesel wont be coming here to replace the 7.3 as it will be replaced by the Common Rail 6.4 next year, which will be coming to Australia soon after. The 6.4 puts out 260kw and 880Nm

Sounds liek Dodge had a better idea using Cummins for diesels in their trucks ..
BTW: Love the fact that International made diesels for Ford. Everyone used to bag siht out of those old Inter 345/392 V8s ....
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2006, 04:38 PM   #24
347Stroker
Banned

Quote:
Unfortunatly, Ford Australia, in their wisdom will be bringing in no more F series untill last quarter of 2008. The versions we get here, like mine, whilst being badged 02/06, its actually the equivalent of the 04 US version. They will most likely bring the new one in when its produced I believe.
I took delivery of mine on thursday night, and I have to give Southside Ford a HUGE thanks for personally delivering the truck to my house, at 7pm. Now thats what I call service.
I have so far only travelled 500k kays in the thing, but I am very impressed with it. Steers well, stops well, and just is a nice thing to drive, considering it is a 3 ton truck. I will get some pics up in the next day or so.

One thing that amuses me is the amount of 100 series cruiser drivers that refuse to look at you as you tower over them in traffic. All of a sudden, they now feel small.....its good for a laugh
Old 18-06-2006, 10:08 PM   #25
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mmm, congrats. I wish I could have a 250, or even 350. Dream car for when i'm older and rich, haha.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2006, 10:48 PM   #26
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I was lucky enough to have one of the 7.3 L TD 4x4 model for a weekend. Was interesting to drive at first ... but the more you are behind the wheel of one ... the bigger the grin you get.

The one I got to drive was a coloumn shift auto ... but still ... it went bloody hard.

And I know what you mean when you pull next to a "lifted" cruiser ... and they look like RAV4s in comparison.

The TD V8 has an awesome sound when really getting up it ... bloody great.
And apparently the LPG systems increase fuel range by double .. and give more power/torque. I managed just a fraction over 1000km from a tank of diesel in it too.

But the 5.4L should be great with a blower bolted to it.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 10:30 AM   #27
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

I spent Sunday cruising around in Stroker's new beast... I have only one thing to say:

Can you name the truck with four wheel drive,
runs on steak and seats thirty-five..

Canyonero! Canyonero!

Well, it goes real slow with the hammer down,
It's the country-fried truck endorsed by a clown!

Canyonero! (Yah!) Canyonero!
[Krusty:] Hey Hey

The Federal Highway comission has ruled the
Canyonero unsafe for highway or city driving.

Canyonero!

12 yards long, 2 lanes wide,
65 tons of American Pride!

Canyonero! Canyonero!

Top of the line in utility sports,
Unexplained fires are a matter for the courts!

Canyonero! Canyonero! (Yah!)

She blinds everybody with her super high beams,
She's a squirrel crushing, deer smacking, driving machine!

Canyonero!-oh woah, Canyonero! (Yah!)

Drive Canyonero!

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2006, 04:14 PM   #28
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Got any pics yet 347?
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2006, 08:51 PM   #29
347Stroker
Banned

Quote:
Got any pics yet 347?
With the rain up here the past few days, I have not had an opportunity to get any yet mate, but will on the weekend.