Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-06-2006, 11:40 PM   #1
xf_vanner

Default hyundai

gday guys now i no this aint a ford but just had an idea. I've got a 97 hyundai excel ( yeah i no start laughing) 5 spd sprint, now does any1 know any workshops in melbourne that can maybe give me more power without costing me the earth and maybe a bodykit as well. I've looked up capa for 5k i can supercharge it and get 140kw which isnt bad but i wanna c wat other options i've got

cheers

xf_vanner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2006, 11:57 PM   #2
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry man, try www.ricerscentral.com.au you might have better luck.
TEaaron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-06-2006, 12:10 AM   #3
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

not even worth the cash to be honest..sell it and get a satria Gti, or some euro hatch.

The hyundai will fall apart.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2006, 12:45 AM   #4
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is it really worth spending big $ on a car thats worth around $3000? They're only a reliable runabout/shopping trolley. Those g/box's aren't all that strong either. 140kw is doubling the engines power output. You'd have to spend $ on other things also.

I had a 95 S-coupe that I was very happy with. IMO it is a far better car than my EL. Reasoning? It didn't need continual amounts of $$$. It also got 550k's from roughly 35lts of fuel. I'd buy another provided it was late model and manual. 4cyl auto's are crap.

My recommendation? Don't waste the $ unless you want to hand over fist fulls of cash continually.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2006, 01:11 AM   #5
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is a guy getting around with an excel with the big shopping trolley rear wing, monster tacho and a big silver vortech sticker on it. He obviously has the kit you mention. The thing does easy 3rd gear burnouts, but still gets laughed at so bad!
schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2006, 01:12 AM   #6
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

actually now i think about it half the time its a second gear burn out into massive 3rd gear clutch slip! ha
schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2006, 11:16 AM   #7
Swordie

There’s an S Coupe Turbo from that era. You might be able to transplant an S Coupe motor. Another option is to see if S Coupe parts will transplant. Ring a Hyundai wrecker to or service department to see what they think.

Exhaust enhancements are usually the cheapest upgrade. This could be around $1500.
Swordie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2006, 11:36 AM   #8
Cespenar
Huh?

Ya wanna play with POWER? Look for the DOLLAR SHOWER!
Cespenar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2006, 11:38 AM   #9
LUXO_8
windsor user

honestly, dont waste the cash mate....
keep it as a reliable daily driver and get a decent car to play with
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2006, 11:45 AM   #10
BlackLS

If you really love the excel an early mitsu evo engine I heard can fit in with little engine mount mods.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2006, 11:47 AM   #11
Swordie

There would be a small amount of cars in this and other forums where money is ever recouped on modifying. We would all be driving Toyota’s if money was an issue. There is a point we with every car where you can start ****ing money up against the wall.
Old 26-06-2006, 11:50 AM   #12
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordie
There would be a small amount of cars in this and other forums where money is ever recouped on modifying. We would all be driving Toyota’s if money was an issue. There is a point we with every car where you can start ****ing money up against the wall.
whilst i do agree here, and my car is one example of cash that will never be recouped, i dont think its worth spending the money on an excel..... they're cheaply made cars that need extensive transmission work to handle the power, they have stuff all power to begin with with not much development work, and you'd be pushing crap uphill to get them to go hard reliably.....

as has been mentioned earlier, you'll be continually pouring money into it to just keep it reliable.....
Old 26-06-2006, 12:14 PM   #13
mowog
Discovery 4

This has to be a troll... Nobody dumb enough to own a Hyundia would be smart enough to use a computer.
Lotus Trooper.
Mini Inspired by Goodwood.
mowog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2006, 12:26 PM   #14
Kenster

The place i would recommend that i know even from the west side comes down is head towards Springvale there have a shop which sell kits and engine modifcation ask if they know where. Much i dont like Hyundai been mod and kit since they arent the pretty thing in site, but if you want to spend the money there the suburb to head towards
Kenster is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2006, 12:55 PM   #15
Swordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowog
This has to be a troll... Nobody dumb enough to own a Hyundia would be smart enough to use a computer.
I given the latest Getz a work over and it changed my perception of the typical bitchy comments provided by people on Hyundai’s. The Getz is a big step forward over the Excel’s in the mid 90’s. 15K on road for a 1.5 litre manual with 5-year warranty it’s a good proposition for its target market. If people need a car to be judged by they should look at themselves. Not everyone can afford the latest or greatest.
Old 26-06-2006, 01:01 PM   #16
Kenster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordie
I given the latest Getz a work over and it changed my perception of the typical bitchy comments provided by people on Hyundai’s. The Getz is a big step forward over the Excel’s in the mid 90’s. 15K on road for a 1.5 litre manual with 5-year warranty it’s a good proposition for its target market. If people need a car to be judged by they should look at themselves. Not everyone can afford the latest or greatest.
agreed with you there man, also to keep a car running
Kenster is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2006, 01:14 PM   #17
Jet-Star

"Do it once, Do it right"..

Even if you do it right on the Hyundai you won't be doing it once.
Get something thats a better starting point for modifications & power, also something thats safer to drive..

Fine you don't have the money to buy the latest and greatest, put that 5K into a nice E series falcon and sell the excell for mod money... Much better bang for Buck IMO...
Jet-Star is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2006, 02:32 PM   #18
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Doesnt the 4G series Mitsu motors fit in them. That being said your probably better off selling it and getting a safer car without Drum brakes on the rear.

A Mitsu Galant is probably a better alternative or better yet a Laser TX3.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2006, 02:38 PM   #19
turboute
turboute

There are a couple of ED-EL turbo's in the for sale section at the moment - buy one of them, they will be cheaper and more powerful in the long run.
turboute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2006, 03:50 PM   #20
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds more like Hyundai-phobia (the name) I cant say I would agree the E series Falcon is a better bang for buck, older cars require more maintenance, and even a brand new larger car costs more to maintain than a smaller car. fuel is now up there with car repayments, so an E series Falcon costs more in fuel per year than its own worth - if it's an economic decission, the Getz would be a better option, safety I am not sure about, worth checking official reports
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2006, 03:58 PM   #21
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
not even worth the cash to be honest..sell it and get a satria Gti, or some euro hatch.

The hyundai will fall apart.
Ahhhh yes ... used to own a Proton ... bloody good car indeed.
Used to take a hell of a caining ... and would come back for more.
all power options ... ABS ... discs already ... and half decent power for a little hatchback ... also handled decent stock from factory.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2006, 04:35 PM   #22
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
Sounds more like Hyundai-phobia (the name) I cant say I would agree the E series Falcon is a better bang for buck, older cars require more maintenance, and even a brand new larger car costs more to maintain than a smaller car. fuel is now up there with car repayments, so an E series Falcon costs more in fuel per year than its own worth - if it's an economic decission, the Getz would be a better option, safety I am not sure about, worth checking official reports
if you read the thread topic, he's after info on where to get his hyundai modified for more power.. i dont think he is overly worried about fuel economy...

for this reason alone, getting power out of an excell would cost bucketloads more than getting way more out of an eseries.......this is why they said an eseries is better bang for your buck....
Old 26-06-2006, 04:57 PM   #23
MAFIA
Grange killer!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
honestly, dont waste the cash mate....
keep it as a reliable daily driver and get a decent car to play with
Honestly ea3 this is well said. Listen and learn from the voice of these people.

INSURED BY MAFIA. YOU HIT US, WE KILL YOU!

FORD FTE AU T-SERIES CLUB OF AUSTRALIA
www.tseriesclub.org
MAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2006, 06:11 PM   #24
xf_vanner

Cheers guys dont think i'll b doing much to it im just bored with it. I might end up getting an xd 302-351 and playing with that alwasy wanted 1 and keep the excel as a runabout. Thanks for the advice definetly keep it in mind. Either that or get rid of the excel and but a telstar turbo, i think i need a ford back in the driveway i'm missing a blue oval badly :(.
Old 26-06-2006, 06:21 PM   #25
Deanodriver

The thing is, it's not just the engine you'd have to upgrade, you'd have to replace the brakes, suspension, transmission, and even then, it'd be a cheap econobox, but you'd have spent some serious cash on it.

If you want a small quick car, go for a European hot hatch, my mate's Peugeot 306 (even though it's not the hot GTi 6, just a 100kw XSi), is a fantastic little car, handles brilliantly and is more than quick enough. I've decided that my next car after the EF is going to be European.

The Excels are fine bunky cars, but if you have aspirations of more from them, remember that you're polishing a turd, and will sink big money into it.
Old 26-06-2006, 06:37 PM   #26
mowog
Discovery 4

Amazing more Hyundai lovers have learned to use computers....
Lotus Trooper.
Mini Inspired by Goodwood.
mowog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2006, 06:43 PM   #27
xf_vanner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanodriver
The thing is, it's not just the engine you'd have to upgrade, you'd have to replace the brakes, suspension, transmission, and even then, it'd be a cheap econobox, but you'd have spent some serious cash on it.

If you want a small quick car, go for a European hot hatch, my mate's Peugeot 306 (even though it's not the hot GTi 6, just a 100kw XSi), is a fantastic little car, handles brilliantly and is more than quick enough. I've decided that my next car after the EF is going to be European.

The Excels are fine bunky cars, but if you have aspirations of more from them, remember that you're polishing a turd, and will sink big money into it.
yeah true, its not a bad car just want a little more balls thats it i dunno might leabe it stock and concentrate on a bigger car
Old 26-06-2006, 06:53 PM   #28
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea3
yeah true, its not a bad car just want a little more balls thats it i dunno might leabe it stock and concentrate on a bigger car
How about you keep it as a cheap runaround car for going to work or whatever on weekdays... the running costs of those things is almost zero! Then maybe get something a bit bigger as the weekend car, something fun to play around with, modify when you get some cash and cruise around in? Best of both then. Mods for 6 cyl Falcons are not too expensive these days if you dont want to go ALL out and they can go quite well... perhaps an E series or an AU?

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2006, 06:04 PM   #29
xf_vanner

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRchic
How about you keep it as a cheap runaround car for going to work or whatever on weekdays... the running costs of those things is almost zero! Then maybe get something a bit bigger as the weekend car, something fun to play around with, modify when you get some cash and cruise around in? Best of both then. Mods for 6 cyl Falcons are not too expensive these days if you dont want to go ALL out and they can go quite well... perhaps an E series or an AU?
thanks xr i was starting to think that today i'd be beta off i'll let u guys no wat i do might have pics of a nice ford on here soon, i've got plans . Thanks everybody for their feedback if i hadnt posted a thread on here who knows what i would've done cheers
Old 15-12-2013, 08:56 PM   #30
xf_vanner

Default Re: hyundai

Going back through my old threads, jeez how times have changed. Cringed when I read this thread again.

Guys, you'll be happy to know that I bought a 2002 au series 3 xr8 as a weekender not long after I asked this question (yeah I wised up lol) and since then excel is gone (what was I thinking back then) and still driving a 5.0 an ED now. Thanks for all the advice and sh@t stirring lol