Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 05-07-2006, 12:16 AM   #1
Cypher_Killz
Starter Motor

Default EA2 Muffler Help!

Well neways im doing up my 1991 EA2 and i want a excellent sounding muffler, and i dont like Rice......

So now that almost all my freinds cant help me, i have to ask here.(stupid skylines everywhere, bah)

Whats good, i was told a 2.5" redback catback and i have no clue what that means or how much its. I was told not to bother with extractors aswell.

So please help, i have about $600 to spend :( (sux eh, but thats all i can afford atm)

Links and pics are all appreciated.

Pau

Cypher_Killz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2006, 12:23 AM   #2
needfordspeed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Redback is the brand of the exhaust, 2.5" is the diameter and cat back means that it's from the cat back, they are about $280 installed and it'll give you a nice note it will also be loudish if you get the version that only has the middle muffler and nothing else.
1988 EA S-Pack|MPI|LSD|AIT turbo manifold|Garrett GT3540|3" Exhaust turbo back|Cooler|Sports ryder shocks|Pedders lows|Resprayed|Microtech LT8s|60lb Injectors|Bosch 044 with surge tank|3000 RPM stall|Ported AU head|Turbo grind cam|Crow double valve springs|1.3mm MLS headgasket|C4 Conversion|Built bottom end|Custom plenum|10.6@125MPH
needfordspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2006, 12:25 AM   #3
Cypher_Killz
Starter Motor

thats arlight, i can handle that, but still questions, whats a cat, and its an auto so will that make much of a difference, and which version would be the best for just crusin around.(no thrashin)

Another thing is a friend suggested a pod filter and somehwere else i read its a must have. How much would i be lookin for a proper one of them(friend said he bought 1 for his lancer for $20 at supacheap), and what does it do, and is it worth having?

(Sorry for the stupid questions but its about time i learn)

Pau
Old 05-07-2006, 12:44 AM   #4
needfordspeed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Pod filter is just a different type of air filter, if it's unsheilded then it will most likely just suck in hot air, mine is unsheilded but I just got mine for the noise as that's pretty much all they're good for, I didn't notice much difference at all it might have revved out better (didn't feel like it was strangled) but I think that was mostly a mental thing lol. They're only about $20-$30 for a cheap one.

About the cat (catalytic convertor) this would help you understand what they are and what they do : http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question66.htm
1988 EA S-Pack|MPI|LSD|AIT turbo manifold|Garrett GT3540|3" Exhaust turbo back|Cooler|Sports ryder shocks|Pedders lows|Resprayed|Microtech LT8s|60lb Injectors|Bosch 044 with surge tank|3000 RPM stall|Ported AU head|Turbo grind cam|Crow double valve springs|1.3mm MLS headgasket|C4 Conversion|Built bottom end|Custom plenum|10.6@125MPH
Old 05-07-2006, 12:47 AM   #5
Cypher_Killz
Starter Motor

thanks alot

: Mods :
Clarion DB156 Headunit
Blue Incar neons (thought it would be fun)
FPV Seatcovers :P
(Not much done yet but im on my way)
: Muffler comein :P :
Old 05-07-2006, 12:47 AM   #6
needfordspeed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

No worries!
Old 05-07-2006, 12:52 AM   #7
89 S-PACK

pod filters u can be canaried for... ive been got for this on my other ea

put the panel one in it about $100

the 2.5 '' should be ok on a auto... mine had all the mufflers on it and it was queit unless i thrashed it... cant remember what the cat is for tho... but i know u cant remove it if ur on petrol cos of the epa rules...

but with the extractors.... talk to some one that knows what they are on about...cos extractors are good and the exhaust flows more freely and thats a good thing!

but i currently have the redbacks on my car.. hi flo resonator and muffler ... i had the rear on removed and it sounds good but mines a manual so there will be differences in the loudness and sizes

but if ur in the western side of melb pm me cos ill tell u the names of a few poeople i have delt with and will happily go gack again
89 S-PACK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2006, 01:03 AM   #8
Cypher_Killz
Starter Motor

nah im a Brissy Guy :(

And half of that didnt make sense 2 me :P(Im new 2 this stuff)
Whats this panel 1 thats $100?

Also im told if im gunna bother with extractors i mayaswell just get the entire exhaust system done and thats gunna cost a bit :(

So a strait catback redback 2.5" muffler thingy would do? No pod filter, and on an auto.(i could worry bout a shiftkit but that opens up a whole new range of stupid questions :()

Last thing, where would i go to get hold of 1 of these, would i have to get it ordered in or somethin?

Clarion DB156 Headunit

Last edited by Cypher_Killz; 05-07-2006 at 01:25 AM.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:37 AM   #9
89 S-PACK

Talking

the panel filter fits in the existing airbox with no mods... k&n, finerfilter make them for the e series which are the same from early ea to late ed (same size airbox)

what i meant with the pods u can be defected for them.. and some states wont let ur car pass roadworthy with pod filters...

for the filter a good place to look is an auto parts places and performance parts places
(they may not stock one tho but they would order one in 4 u )
and the good thing about k&n, finer filter they are cleanable so u are able to wash and reuse and most have a kilometer garanntee

but with the exhaust im basically just using the catback system.. but with the rear muffler removed
Old 05-07-2006, 01:42 AM   #10
Cypher_Killz
Starter Motor

Alrighty, thanks for the advice on the podfilter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89 S-PACK
but with the exhaust im basically just using the catback system.. but with the rear muffler removed
Also with the rear muffler removed, does that mean you cant see any muffler tip or anythin out the back?
Or is that just the muffler removed but it still goes out the tip which is visible?
(wont the cops get ****ed bout that :()

Sorry if these are stupid questions everybody :(

Clarion DB156 Headunit
Old 05-07-2006, 01:48 AM   #11
89 S-PACK

[QUOTE=Cypher_Killz]Alrighty, thanks for the advice on the podfilter.

Also with the rear muffler removed, does that mean you cant see any muffler tip or anythin out the back?
Or is that just the muffler removed but it still goes out the tip which is visible?
(wont the cops get ****ed bout that :()

the tip still comes out it just instaed of a muffler they just use a striaght peice opf pipe instead.... they usally call it a straight through.

ive been pulled up at booze buses and roadside checks and no-one has questioned me about the noise
Old 05-07-2006, 01:51 AM   #12
Cypher_Killz
Starter Motor

thanks alot, ill look into that.

Thanks every1 for the help, this is alot more than what i expected.

Clarion DB156 Headunit
Old 05-07-2006, 02:28 AM   #13
89 S-PACK

no worries glad i could help
Old 06-07-2006, 08:10 AM   #14
NC_GHIA
FirstOnRaceDay

Ok I have one question Needforspeed said that a pod filter makes a noise... Can anyone tell me what kind of noise it makes...

And I have a 2.5 cat back system Lukey...It sounds loader then what everyone says about their redbacks...

When i start mine its loud when I a driving its a nice rumble(cruising) when I give it a bit it is loud.... Then again this could be the same with everybody else...

Also I got told if i install a set of extractors it will make my car louder... Is this true or is he just trying to get more money out of me?
NC_GHIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2006, 05:50 PM   #15
gthofan
Gunna girlie-man

regarding the pod filter, it has to be asked. is your car cfi (centerpoint injection, massive air filter on the top of engine) or mpefi( you have the airbox behind the passenger headlight)
if it is cfi, forget the panel filter

<INSERT WITTY SIGNATURE HERE>

Daily- 05' BA futura... work done.
Cruiser- 85' VK berlina... more work done
gthofan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2006, 09:00 AM   #16
NC_GHIA
FirstOnRaceDay

CFI, hopefully getting MPFI soon... Its on my mod list..
NC_GHIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post