Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 05-07-2006, 06:16 PM   #1
janek
Ripping it up

Default AU Long range fuel tank

ok, enough is enough... my car is running pretty much as efficiently as it can. i want to investigate long range fuel tanks... so the total is about 100L.. so approx 30L extra... is this possible, dos anyone make them etc?

Any thoughts or ideas??

janek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2006, 07:01 PM   #2
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Only ones I know are for 4WDs that havew room undeneath when the spare tyre is removed and put on a swing-arm.

Unless you go Injected LPG and get 68 useable Litres of LPG as well ... with some loss of boot space. But you can get yourself another 400-odd kms from that on top of your petrol.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2006, 06:28 PM   #3
Autocade

Wow about $150 for the first fill ouch!
Autocade is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2006, 07:42 PM   #4
AU-MUSTD
Flat floor shifter

I've got about 135 usable ltrs in my fairlane. Gotta go gas to get it though and then you'll be too tight to put it on petrol so it soon drops back too 68ltrs. Never heard of anything aftermarket though.
AU-MUSTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2006, 09:14 PM   #5
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

My mate has an ex-police car (VN Commodore). It has a long range tank.

To fit a long range tank to an AU would be very squeezy...

If one was made... it would be too low to the ground. The only way to do it is custom made, by taking out the spare wheel in the wheel well, and building a tank that occupies that space and where the normal tank sits.... Even then, I don't know if that will pass ADR or you will be able to insure it. Petrol Tank Modification sounds like it would need an engineers cert...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2006, 08:17 AM   #6
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I'd love to get a donut tank and put it where my spare tyre is in the ute .... another 68L would be awesome ... add that to my current maximum of 90L ... I'd be very happy running 158L of LPG ... means more time on the road between fills ... plus 1000km range between fills as well.

Hmmm ... Interesting.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:45 AM   #7
janek
Ripping it up

thats what id be after... wish they had the bolt on long range tank like the XC's
janek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2006, 10:18 AM   #8
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
I'd love to get a donut tank and put it where my spare tyre is in the ute .... another 68L would be awesome ... add that to my current maximum of 90L ... I'd be very happy running 158L of LPG ... means more time on the road between fills ... plus 1000km range between fills as well.

Hmmm ... Interesting.
I'm sure you can get them for the LPG.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:20 AM   #9
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Would be interesting actually ... but I like the idea of having my spare tyre on me though ... and I need my ute area to be empty for work as well ... so i can't store the spare tyre in there either. Grrr.