Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 11-07-2006, 04:41 PM   #1
BOOSTDEF
FPV GT Owner!!!

Default Minispool for street use, Safe???

Hi,

I have been looking for an lsd for some time now up here in brissy, but just cant find one for a reasonable price.

I am actually happy with the current get up and go with the 3.08 ratio, but the Single spinner is killing me, and my 1 tyre :P

I have a spare peg legger lying around, and would like to install a minispool in it. Maybe even to just install it for the drag strip, and then back to the peg legger for road use. But we all know how much of a hassle that would be.

Now the only problem i have is the safety factor? Are they unsafe to drive with on the road, and the wet??

- XB Coupe Project
BOOSTDEF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2006, 05:02 PM   #2
Hotwire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some will tell you they are unsafe, and you shouldnt use it, being defectable and all.

Others will say they love their minispool and wouldnt go without.

Really the choice is yours. ;)

However, I have never driven a car with a spool, however I know many people who have them in their R31's and drive on them full time with no worries.
Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2006, 05:09 PM   #3
Hardtopxb
Once PHASED.

Minispools are useless for going around corners or in the wet. Use at your own peril
Old 11-07-2006, 05:13 PM   #4
BOOSTDEF
FPV GT Owner!!!

So do i have this correct.

LSDs are basically a 1 wheeler around corners, but lock up both in a straight line.

Minispools are constantly 2 wheelers, giving good traction straight but enhance sideways action?

Looks like ill just throw it in for the drag days. Until i get an LSD.

Thanks for the replies.
- XB Coupe Project
Old 11-07-2006, 05:20 PM   #5
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

get a spool dude.... oh and buy billet axels (not that you'll have to...) but if you're pushing like 250+ rwkw you should consider it (even stock car, you can be safe than sorry and get billet axels anyway :P)

i've bought a billet mini spool (there are ones that are weak as **** eg: made in china or something) but make sure it's billet ;)

although it's not legal... unless you're doing a U bolt infront of a copper they won't know you have a spool ... and you can just say it's just been recoed =)
i've heard a lot of stories with people breaking 25 spline, so make sure it's atleast a 28 spline and you shouldn't have a problem....
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2006, 05:23 PM   #6
BOOSTDEF
FPV GT Owner!!!

Ahh ok.. So what type would you suggest for the 3.08 diff? Is there any specific spline which wont fit?
- XB Coupe Project
Old 11-07-2006, 05:25 PM   #7
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

you should have 28 spline 4 pinion ... so like just ask 'em for a spool to suit 28 spline 4 pinion diff
Old 11-07-2006, 05:28 PM   #8
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

oh and lsd sucks hehe my bro's lsd after recoed and tight... lasted him like 2 weeks $400 down the drain (although they did recoe it again under warranty, but said "you seem to have a lot of rubber under your guards") :P

if you don't get a spool, well look into a detroit locker which will unlock when going around a corner ..if your foot is off the gas, has more information on the detroit locker site

the only spline that will fit your diff is 28 spline, i think without too much modding you can get a 31 spline to fit... have only heard a few times of people somehow doing it, without seeing - so it's probably bull****
Old 11-07-2006, 05:32 PM   #9
EFFalcon
Last warning

i wouldn't feel confident at higher speeds in the wet with a minispool.
just don't abuse your LSD and it'll be fine.

+1 vote LSD here.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2006, 05:32 PM   #10
BOOSTMYEF
Banned

just get the mini spool!!!!!!!!

all you need is a 28spline spool to suit ford diff..

i had one in my last car, EF, installed it my self as well

never had a problem, never broke an axle, and that took plenty of a thrashing!

28spline is generally pretty strong, ive even had a full car and it wasnt a problem

for $100 new, you cant go wrong, installed your looking at $120 depending, thats if your too lazy to do it yourself..

but its easy, you wont have much problem doing it, if you do send me a PM and il give you step by step instructions

theres my opinion!

Last edited by BOOSTMYEF; 11-07-2006 at 05:45 PM.
BOOSTMYEF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2006, 05:55 PM   #11
Hotwire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another option is the Lokka system, designed originally for 4WD's.

Do a search, there was heaps of topics on them a while ago. Something like a detroit locker from memory, locked in a straight line, but unlock on corners. It was developed by a company in Adelaide (I think) and retails for around the $600 mark.

Edit:
Found it :
http://www.4wdsystems.com.au/html/lokka.htm

Now available for

Ford 9" (28 & 31 spline) and Borg Warner (25 & 28 Spline)
Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2006, 05:59 PM   #12
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

and airlockers is another option, but expensive , cheaper if you can DIY
Old 11-07-2006, 06:14 PM   #13
EF_Frmnt
Banned

and ef should be 3.23 ratio diff...? xrs had 3.45
EF_Frmnt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2006, 06:18 PM   #14
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire
Another option is the Lokka system, designed originally for 4WD's.

Do a search, there was heaps of topics on them a while ago. Something like a detroit locker from memory, locked in a straight line, but unlock on corners. It was developed by a company in Adelaide (I think) and retails for around the $600 mark.

Edit:
Found it :
http://www.4wdsystems.com.au/html/lokka.htm

Now available for

Ford 9" (28 & 31 spline) and Borg Warner (25 & 28 Spline)
the above is a knockoff of the Richmond Lockrite. Good unit and very streetable by all accounts. Reasonably well priced as well.

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2006, 06:23 PM   #15
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

Just throw it in.

People who say they cant handle it for raod use are just weak :nutsycuck

oneredED stole my one and put it in his car. Youll have to get used to wheels chirping when making tight turns, its fine in high speeds too.

The consistency and feel when the wheels are spinning is tops, def get it if you are a sideways junkie.

You will find it understeers on slow corners but you will learn to change your driving style to suit, after taht its no problem.

NO LSDs will do the job for any length of time in falcons. Theyre just crap full stop.
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2006, 06:25 PM   #16
BI6TIM
SnortPerformance.com

BOOSTED, there is nothing better than a spool for anything either side of the staight and narrow but man, I had one in my car for about a month after powercruise last year and it was a nightmare. They are so unbelievibly dangerous in the wet, I nearly didn't have a geen ED on the way home from Powercriuse last year (it was raining the whole way home).

There is absolutely nothing wrong with an LSD for drag racing, you run into problems with LSD's for things like dirfting and burnouts. I say stick to the LSD and only get a spool for things like powercruise and maybe archerfield.

The other problem you will face with a spool is that you will go through trailing arm bushes like there's no tommorow.
BI6TIM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2006, 06:26 PM   #17
oneredED
need more boost

Are they safe? Well the answer is "not always". Are the dangerous? Not always. Almost anything can be considered hazardous (for example, a 9" grinder can be dangerous, but if used correctly it is a valuable tool) but it's all about how you use the tool that determines whether or not it is a hazard to your safety.

In saying that, I have experienced a spool, and it is honestly not that bad. I have had one "moment" at about 110km/h in the wet around a sweeping corner where I fed a little too much throttle in, but that was on purpose to test the limits of what the spool will do to the handling of the car,and once out the car was completely controllable. (EDIT: please note that the tyres I had on were nearly, but not quite, illegal tread,and the car probably would have stepped out anyways, and the effects of the minispool may have made the car more stable, it may also have not, I am unsure)

What you DO have to do if you have a spool is be ALWAYS AWARE that the car has the spool fitted, and that it may not act as you were previously used to. For example, slow 90* or sharper turns in the wet, will generally push the front two tyres straight on, and the severity of that will depend on many things (eg tyres, surface, oil down? etc). Too much throttle application will also send the tail out (however it is very gradual and controllable).

If you are AWARE and CONSCIOUS of the fact the car has a minispool, and you are completely aware of its effects (in practice so that you can get a feel for it, not just theory), be they detrimental to the handling of the car or otherwise, then I do not consider the spool to be unsafe if the car is driven accordingly.

Jared
Stops due to: bendix, DBA
Shifter connected to: T5 manual
Power from: ???
Interior: velour and woodgrain
Cost: stuff all :P
oneredED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2006, 06:52 PM   #18
BOOSTDEF
FPV GT Owner!!!

Yeh thats well put mate. Thanks for that.

I mean even with the single spinner its important to take it at snails pace in the wet, i suppose i can take it even slower.
- XB Coupe Project
Old 11-07-2006, 06:55 PM   #19
efmont

LSDs will smoke both tyres if it is in GC. A spool would be very dangerous in the wet as t is constantly spinning 2 wheels, whilst turning the wheels spin at different speeds and will make you loose traction almost instantly. Not to mention you will go through alot of tyres with a spool. +1 to LSD
efmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2006, 06:55 PM   #20
needfordspeed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Just get one man, i've been in boostmyef's old EF and it was awesome also been in a few other minispooled/locked diff cars and they don't seem as bad as you think they will be. Every single LSD car i've been in has always single spun around corners at one stage or another.
1988 EA S-Pack|MPI|LSD|AIT turbo manifold|Garrett GT3540|3" Exhaust turbo back|Cooler|Sports ryder shocks|Pedders lows|Resprayed|Microtech LT8s|60lb Injectors|Bosch 044 with surge tank|3000 RPM stall|Ported AU head|Turbo grind cam|Crow double valve springs|1.3mm MLS headgasket|C4 Conversion|Built bottom end|Custom plenum|10.6@125MPH
needfordspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2006, 07:20 PM   #21
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSTDEF
So do i have this correct.

LSDs are basically a 1 wheeler around corners, but lock up both in a straight line.

Minispools are constantly 2 wheelers, giving good traction straight but enhance sideways action?

Looks like ill just throw it in for the drag days. Until i get an LSD.

Thanks for the replies.
Basically yes, depending on how the LSD is set up. Cone LSD's have a preset amount of slip, which determines how much torque will be going to each wheel all the time. When one wheel starts to spin faster than the other, the LSD basically locks up to a preset amount, depending on how much torque is getting fed to the diff, and what wheel has traction. If you get an LSD diff rebuilt and ask for a higher pre-load, it will put more even amounts of power to both rear wheels at all times, but won't be locked solid all the time.

For instance you're doing a u-turn and trying not to smoke em up at the same time, there won't be much torque going to the diff, so the LSD won't tighten up and chirp the inside wheel like a spool.

If you do any regular highway driving, I'd highly reccomend you don't get a spool. The car will constantly be trying to push itself off the road due to the camber in the road.

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2006, 07:21 PM   #22
347_XR8
Slide Baby Slide

LSD - 9" conversion if you've got the money

Mr Super Skid-Man
347_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2006, 07:27 PM   #23
BOOSTDEF
FPV GT Owner!!!

Should of made this a poll :P

You guys are swaying me here.
- XB Coupe Project
Old 11-07-2006, 07:40 PM   #24
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

get lsd if you want it to SS 1-2 weeks later ;)
Old 11-07-2006, 07:56 PM   #25
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

It seems a lot of people in threads like this are comparing a stock, 15 year old LSD that has a low preload and a caining all it's life, to a spool. If you get a conepack LSD rebuilt properly, it will last for years, and be a lot more streetable. Not to mention legal...

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2006, 07:58 PM   #26
LTDHO
The one and only

I wouldn't for the fact they're dangerous and they're not needed for street use. I tight LSD is better IMO.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2006, 08:03 PM   #27
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

so you can actually thrash lsd everyday for a week and it will be ok? cause that's about how long my bro's lsd lasted him.. an he wasn't thrashing it all the time either his lsd is probably about 8yrs old or something about there (but it got recoed & 2 weeks later it went SS...)

i'd say go LSD if it's a family car (eg, you have/having children any time soon :P) ... cause spool would be useless as you won't get any use out of it... but if you don't ever want to get your REar driveline repaired , get a spool + billet axels , and that should set you straight

some people say you will get shock trouble and bushes, which is probably true (just like if you didn't have a spool, you'll evantually need to replace 'em one day..) .. but it's not as worse as people say it out to be either, nothing beats the chirping sounds when cornering, i love it ! been in a lot of cars with 'em, so i can't wait till i get it in mine in a week or so.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:05 PM   #28
BI6TIM
SnortPerformance.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_EF8
It seems a lot of people in threads like this are comparing a stock, 15 year old LSD that has a low preload and a caining all it's life, to a spool. If you get a conepack LSD rebuilt properly, it will last for years, and be a lot more streetable. Not to mention legal...
I know, I had and LSD for my car and an LSD for my brothers car rebuilt not long ago. There are people on this forum that know how the both of us drive our cars and they are still going strong. We are Drift and Burnout mad and that's what we use on the street.

Obviously for things like the upcoming powercruise I'll be using a locked diff but that's not the street so it's all good. Anyone who has an LSD built and it's crap you should look for a new diff builder.
BI6TIM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2006, 08:53 PM   #29
eed-250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

to answer the original question..

yes it is safe, just be aware that you have it
520rwhp
eed-250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2006, 11:18 PM   #30
gthofan
Gunna girlie-man

ah, get it over with, just weld it hehehe