Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 07-08-2006, 08:02 PM   #1
Sick EB
ORSM Ford Cruisers

Arrow Stereo Setup Advice

hi everyone
i got a quote from a guy at strathfield for a complete system and i just wanted to know if i was getting ripped off

also i am getting him them to install it because i dont even know where to start with these type of things.

i am so bad i attempted to take out a stock cassett player out of the dash. i undid the screws and then realised that ford have put the star screws in so you cant take it out. so i got some plyers and they both came out quite easily. so i slid it out and realised that there was a different plug on the back so i just put it back. i screwed it up and now it just dosnt work. i did not touch anything and i just went. so i am not touching anything.

this is what i have been quoted for:

-Kenwood MP3 200W Head Unit
-JBL 1200W 4 Ch amp
-JBL 12'' 1200W Sub in ported box
-Pioneer 6'' 4 Way 260W Rears
-Pioneer 6'' Splits 220W fronts (with crossover)- whatever they are?

i have been quoted $1200 for all products + $300 to install + $100 for an amp kit (which i presume is wiring)

is this a good price or should i go somewhere else or i dont know

any feedback would help
thanks matt

Sick EB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2006, 08:05 PM   #2
SVT8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sounds about right.
SVT8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2006, 08:17 PM   #3
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

yeh dosent sound too bad. where bouts do ya live? i know how to install everything, quite easy really, i just dont know how to put a new plug to match the head unit.

if you got some help from someone you could save yourself a bit of money.

it'll cost about $30 for them to put the new plug on if you take out the dash facia and the cassette player (they'll charge you bout $60 if they do this). The rest is as easy as bolting down the amp and running some wires through the car.

Also Jaycar sell amp kits (yeah wiring kits) for $60 also.

the rest of the package sounds really good, just get it tuned for your liking (which is simply just trial 'n' error) and yeh it'll sound sweet

cheers
braden
Old 07-08-2006, 08:45 PM   #4
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Probably not a bad price, but geez you could get some better gear.

Try Stylyn Audio in Boronia, they will set you up with some good gear, a good install and look after you.

Cheers
Old 07-08-2006, 08:48 PM   #5
Tiga_EL
Banned

Thats a fairly decent price.

Headunit isnt all that hard to change, the loom with the right plug should be included in the headunit, should be as simple as just joining the correct wires together, you can tell all the wires in the manual. just cut off the old plug, and join the new one.
Tiga_EL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2006, 08:52 PM   #6
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

I really dont know about getting strathfield to install your system........

If you are in Melbs then yeah try Stylyn in Boronia, top blokes and they know what they are doing and you dont run the risk of some "new" lacky installing your system.

Well anyway now you have got a quote from Starthfield, now go to some Professional Car Audio Outlets to see what they can do for you for the same price.....

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2006, 07:49 PM   #7
micksta

what are you using to power the sub ?
micksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2006, 09:07 PM   #8
XRated
Shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRHEMI
I really dont know about getting strathfield to install your system........

If you are in Melbs then yeah try Stylyn in Boronia, top blokes and they know what they are doing and you dont run the risk of some "new" lacky installing your system.

Well anyway now you have got a quote from Starthfield, now go to some Professional Car Audio Outlets to see what they can do for you for the same price.....
Roger that. Try a dedicated car audio place. They'll most-likely charge more for labour but the final product will no doubt be more professional.

Check out the caraudioaustralia forums and look around at their sponsors.

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2006, 10:49 PM   #9
Sick EB
ORSM Ford Cruisers

the guy at strathfiels said to use the amp to power the front 2 speakers and the sub with the amp and use the head unit to power the rears.

although i may use another single 900W amp to power the sub by itself. although i am having trouble as it is trying to work out where to put all the other stuff.

i still want this car to have a usable boot with half diecent space to fit a bag or something with a bit of size. thats why this install is getting more and more complicated everytime i think about it.

thanks for the advice
matt
Old 08-08-2006, 11:16 PM   #10
NC_GHIA
FirstOnRaceDay

You wont need an amp to power pionner speakers they will run fine of the head unit pressuming that it is 50x4 plus but I say find somewear better then straithfield somewere they sell great products not ok one's...

I could a kit of the same quantity but much better quality for about the same$$$

Oh but if you are going to use an amp to power speakers do it to the back speakers cause they are more power full then the front and you will probally get a better all round sound
NC_GHIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2006, 02:27 AM   #11
XRated
Shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6cylEA
You wont need an amp to power pionner speakers they will run fine of the head unit pressuming that it is 50x4 plus but I say find somewear better then straithfield somewere they sell great products not ok one's...

I could a kit of the same quantity but much better quality for about the same$$$

Oh but if you are going to use an amp to power speakers do it to the back speakers cause they are more power full then the front and you will probally get a better all round sound
Uh no.

The guy at Strathfield has some idea. Power the sub with two channels, and then power the fronts with the other two channels like he's obviously suggested. To be honest, you don't really need the rears - they're just for fill. You're the driver, so commonsense is that you will want most of the mids and highs coming from here and the bass from the sub will give you the lows that you feel.

A decent amp will make dramatic improvements to decent speakers.

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2006, 08:44 AM   #12
LTDHO
The one and only

Sick EB, are you near a car auto shop?

Also you need to determine what sounds good with your music, as you will be listening to it, I'm sure you want to like what you hear???

Shop around and ask heaps of questions.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2006, 11:41 AM   #13
Sick EB
ORSM Ford Cruisers

i live in thomastown. so i am pritty close to alot of car audio places. i think the closest one to me is ERUPT Concepts.
also i have heard that TOWER AUDIO in melton are very good with there installs.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:44 PM   #14
sven

Quote:
^^^^^
what XRated said. NO. you will definitely want to power the splits at the front. most people only use 3 or 4 way's in the rear as FILLERS. they aren't there to make massive sound quality. the quality that you could get from a decently powered good set of splits is awsome. DONT POWER THE REARS WHEN YOU HAVE SPLITS IN THE FRONT!!

The prices on what you got quoted sound pretty good. but as they say you'll get what you pay for. $1200 for that amount of gear would probably be a very nice system but i wouldn't expect anything super awsome. i just paid $1100 for just a headunit and splits......

If you've made up your mind on the amount of dosh you want to spend then go to another car audio place and see what they could do. give them your list to look at and get a price. then ask what they would recomend for a headunit, splits, 3 or 4 way's (you probably wouldn't notice the difference), sub, amp/amps and wiring for similar money. i'm sure you could find someone here to help you with the instal to save some $$$. i'd ask about gear from JL, Alpine or Focal if i was you, even Jaycar for the amps. all tried tested and AWSOME gear. Goodluck with the install mate.

Steve
Old 09-08-2006, 12:51 PM   #15
NC_GHIA
FirstOnRaceDay

Is that what I said???^^^^^ ok don't worry about that A little to much to drink I think

You could also go for gear such as soundstream, clarion, and boston... But jaycar amps are quite good... The only prblem I found with jaycar is that down hear the don't know squote
Old 09-08-2006, 01:01 PM   #16
sven

a little too much to drink... its not even midday yet!!!

i know you said some of that but you also said some stuff i dont agree with (amping the rears) and thats whay i was addressing. then suggested some brands that i have or friends of mine have and i know their quality.

as with jaycar. just find out what you want. go there and just tell em. dont bother with their opinion if they dont know anything.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:09 PM   #17
NC_GHIA
FirstOnRaceDay

No last night what I said... with amping the rears don worry thats when I was drinking....

I ramble a bit when I drink taquiler...

And so what are you saying about the brands good or bad cause I know there quality to...
Old 09-08-2006, 09:56 PM   #18
ebxr8_50ho
now EFXR65spd

IMO if ur gonna do it, do it once and do it right. 2 Alpine 12" Type R subs, 2 sets of Type R 6.5" Splits, and two big amps with a decent head unit. Thats what I had (just sold). Cost about $4K but it'll rattle your sphincter
Old 09-08-2006, 11:40 PM   #19
Sprint_ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Try GL Prosound in Keilor Rd Keilor, i they have helped me out heaps, are very good priced and all their gear is QUALITY, and they arent just after your money, most of these blokes at JB or strathfield have no idea about the product they are selling they do
Sprint_ED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2006, 12:50 AM   #20
sphell
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick EB
hi everyone
i got a quote from a guy at strathfield for a complete system and i just wanted to know if i was getting ripped off

also i am getting him them to install it because i dont even know where to start with these type of things.

i am so bad i attempted to take out a stock cassett player out of the dash. i undid the screws and then realised that ford have put the star screws in so you cant take it out. so i got some plyers and they both came out quite easily. so i slid it out and realised that there was a different plug on the back so i just put it back. i screwed it up and now it just dosnt work. i did not touch anything and i just went. so i am not touching anything.

this is what i have been quoted for:

-Kenwood MP3 200W Head Unit
-JBL 1200W 4 Ch amp
-JBL 12'' 1200W Sub in ported box
-Pioneer 6'' 4 Way 260W Rears
-Pioneer 6'' Splits 220W fronts (with crossover)- whatever they are?

i have been quoted $1200 for all products + $300 to install + $100 for an amp kit (which i presume is wiring)

is this a good price or should i go somewhere else or i dont know

any feedback would help
thanks matt
Give me a call if you want, I'll help you out and definately be able to do better than $400 for the install+wiring! Number's in my sig.
sphell is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2006, 01:31 AM   #21
Damo
Banned

I reccomend this guy ^ I got a very nice system installed in my EF at a very reasonable price.
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2006, 08:59 AM   #22
castek
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats a bit pricey i rekon for kenwood gear... You can get some Type S splits (they are the best you can fit in your factory location in the doors from the alpine range) for like $260 from autobarn in hoppers. i've got them in my car and they sound bloody awesome. rear fill the 4 ways will suffice. as said above, try the jaycar amps, my mates are running them and they sound pretty good, especially their mono blocks. basically spend good money on your front stage and your subs, as thats what mainly drives your system. Good luck
castek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2006, 10:42 AM   #23
DaNeoS
Banned

if your worried about boot space, try a custom install, ive got 2 12" subs, 2 amps, and another 1 or 2 amps to go in, and i will still have complete space.

link to some pictures for ideas if your interested
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...ht=custom+boot
DaNeoS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2006, 12:06 PM   #24
sven

Quote:
No last night what I said... with amping the rears don worry thats when I was drinking....

I ramble a bit when I drink taquiler...

And so what are you saying about the brands good or bad cause I know there quality to...
basically what i'm saying is what ebxr8_50ho just said. if your gonna do a decent system save more money in the long run and go for top gear straight away. if you spend your $1200 you may only get a few bits of your system and not the full thing done but hey, imo its worth it. go for the really good and quality brands right from the getgo. i wish i'd done that from the start.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:51 PM   #25
gozza

strathfield will bend you over
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post