Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 09-08-2006, 06:20 AM   #1
JD2004

Default Fiesta Brakes.

Ok people here is the story.

My lovely girl has put the hard word on me.. ive been given two options.. and as most blokes would know those are your only options :(

1. I slow down abit because she fears for my life while im doing such extreme speeds yada yada yada.

2. I install some insane brake kit that will pull me up fairly well + better tyres.

Ok well its obvious to me that i enjoy driving and i enjoy going hard.. so brake kit it is.

So can anyone suggest a good kit and where i can purchase it from and what price ranges..

I know Brembo make a kit for the Fiesta which includes rotors, green stuff pads, and racing drum shoes.. anyone know anymore info?

Cheers for the help

JD2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2006, 10:38 AM   #2
Battlepope

depends. are you willing to spend some dosh on getting stuff from the uk?? if so, www.pumaspeed.co.uk have rear disc kit with abs.
Battlepope is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2006, 12:10 PM   #3
b2tf
not here much anymore

IMHO putting Brembos on a fez is just pure overkill. Some slotted rotors, new pads, new fluid and *maybe* braided lines if you wanted to go that far would be more than adequate.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:23 PM   #4
BlackLS

Just a comment, I don't know the "extremeness" of your driving style or how easily your girl gets scared, but from what I can gather, this is down to having a bit of respect for your girl and slow up if she's uncomfortable with how your driving. Fair enough if you are on the racetrack together then there shouldn't be an issue with her but on public roads I think you should pull your head in.

I really think she's giving you a hint by giving the 2 options, she's probably not expecing you to go to the trouble and to the pay the $$$, but is being nice enough not to just say "slow the f down".
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2006, 04:24 PM   #5
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Default Fiesta Brakes

Blackls.. couldnt have said it better myself.

Whenever i have a girl in the car, i slow right down. I only drive like a twat when im alone and when theres noone else on the road next to me.. unless its a euroford cruise where we are all hammering at the same time.

Point is, maybe get some new brake pads, and some new fluid.

The Fiesta has GOOD brakes, but they just suffer a bit from heat.

So unless your being an utter twat, then i see no reason for a brake upgrade.
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2006, 04:39 PM   #6
Peej

I think a brake upgrade is way too much effort, money and time when you can consider the possible, free, easy and effortless solution. Slow down when your girl is in the car.
Peej is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2006, 06:34 PM   #7
vik351
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
Just a comment, I don't know the "extremeness" of your driving style or how easily your girl gets scared, but from what I can gather, this is down to having a bit of respect for your girl and slow up if she's uncomfortable with how your driving. Fair enough if you are on the racetrack together then there shouldn't be an issue with her but on public roads I think you should pull your head in.

I really think she's giving you a hint by giving the 2 options, she's probably not expecing you to go to the trouble and to the pay the $$$, but is being nice enough not to just say "slow the f down".
Couldn't have said it better myself,my other 1/2 hated going over the limit by 5 K,so I dont...

vik...just not worth the head whatsanames : : :
vik351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2006, 06:56 PM   #8
JD2004

ok small misunderstanding - i never go nuts while she is in the same vehicle, she does however understand my alone driving style and stresses out over that.. im not a complete twat whilst driving but i do get upto some crazy things...

cheers for your input guys
Old 09-08-2006, 07:52 PM   #9
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just develop great scanning skill, see what's up ahead. Plan everything. There are a lot of turds (around 99% sydney's drivers) that got really REALLY ****ed off because I'm driving at the speed limit, not 10, not 20, not 30kph under but AT the speed limit. So he/she decided to "look cool" and rev their P.O.S car to over-take me. However, not long after he/she did so, there's some car on the right lane that wants to turn into a street... so I ended up CARS in front of him/her with my engine running at 2000rpm as if nothing ever happened.

Sorry got a little carried away there.

But the other day, some dude in his silver F6 was behind me as I was driving at the speed limit. I kinda wished that he'd open that sucker up (as I've never heard an F6 screaming before), but he didnt... he patiently drove at the speed limit behind me. A lot of people that drive amazing cars tend to do so. Funny the world we live in.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2006, 02:38 PM   #10
amlohac

They drive thier expensive F6's like a sane person because driving it like a mental patient on public roads may end in that expensive cars demise and the drivers great sence of depression setting in when he realises how much of a toss he was for driving like that.
amlohac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2006, 02:47 PM   #11
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So your saying that ppl with fast cars should alwasy drive at stupid speed?
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2006, 02:58 PM   #12
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^^ no, I was just saying that it's funny to see that people with great cars often dont act like tools on public roads. On the other hand most people with crap on wheels are the ones that drive aggressively at really stupid speeds.
Old 10-08-2006, 03:16 PM   #13
JD2004

As far as my brain functions i see it this way - im quite happy paying $1500+ to upgrade my brakes and tyres to enable me to stop in some insane amount of space, than hooning around at a rediculious pace having an accident, killing myself and someone elses loved ones.... Sometimes accidents arent even caused by excessive speed just another persons stupidity.. if i could stop 10, 15 meters shorter than with standard brakes and it saves my life.. money well spent.

Another option would be to slow down and drive myself senile at such a crawl.
Old 10-08-2006, 06:21 PM   #14
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Spent the money of driver training so you don't get into a situation where you actually need >1G of braking to save your life. Either way your still gonna take 2.8seconds to pull up from 100km/h
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2006, 06:23 PM   #15
JD2004

fair point. no one is working for me in this post. i think il give up...
Old 10-08-2006, 07:22 PM   #16
Swaytan
Swaytan

I drive like a fool when I'm by myself, but not when it's busy or if I'm in a built up area.

My girl once hit 210kph on Southern Cross Drive in an RX7, so she's not against gunning it. In saying that though, if anything was to happen to her by my hand, I couldn't live with my self. She's still amazed how the Fez corners though, so will from time to time say "take this corner like the car is stolen".

However, if somebody doesn't like the way I drive, when the car is stationery they are free to use the door handle and get out. I don't drink drive, I don't speed, I don't drive under the influence of drugs & I know my capabilities & the capabilities of my car.

I'd learn how to drive your car properly. I don't mean that in an offensive way, I just mean you need to learn what the car can do & what you can handle. I myself am wanting to do some kind of advanced driving course, just to see what I need to improve on.

It's amazing how much a really good set of tyres will improve braking. When you think about it, your tyres are the only part of your car that touch the road. Get your tyres right, then worry later if you need to about better brakes etc.
Swaytan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2006, 10:35 PM   #17
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaytan
I'd learn how to drive your car properly. I don't mean that in an offensive way, I just mean you need to learn what the car can do & what you can handle. I myself am wanting to do some kind of advanced driving course, just to see what I need to improve on.

It's amazing how much a really good set of tyres will improve braking. When you think about it, your tyres are the only part of your car that touch the road. Get your tyres right, then worry later if you need to about better brakes etc.
Couldn't have said it better myself :

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2006, 10:42 PM   #18
JD2004

Quote:
It's amazing how much a really good set of tyres + 17" ST170 Mags will improve braking. When you think about it, your tyres are the only part of your car that touch the road. Get your tyres and mags right, then worry later if you need to about better brakes etc.
Couldnt have said it better myself!
Old 10-08-2006, 10:43 PM   #19
JD2004

ok i admit i did edit the quote....
Old 10-08-2006, 11:13 PM   #20
Swaytan
Swaytan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD2004
ok i admit i did edit the quote....
Yeah, I read where you quoted me and was like "wait a minute, I don't remember writing that!"

lol
Swaytan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2006, 08:44 PM   #21
JD2004

Quote:
I drive like a fool when I'm by myself, but not when it's busy or if I'm in a built up area.

My girl once hit 210kph on Southern Cross Drive in an RX7, so she's not against gunning it. In saying that though, if anything was to happen to her by my hand, I couldn't live with my self. She's still amazed how the Fez corners though, so will from time to time say "take this corner like the car is stolen".
210kph on Southern Cross Drive?? ok thats alittle insane.. i would only ever hit that kind of speed on the freeway.. i had a hire car while i was in sydney working on the airport it was a little corolla and i dont think it had ever seen so much thrashing in its lifetime... oh i love cars
Old 13-08-2006, 01:26 PM   #22
Sonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD2004
210kph on Southern Cross Drive?? ok thats alittle insane.. i would only ever hit that kind of speed on the freeway.. i had a hire car while i was in sydney working on the airport it was a little corolla and i dont think it had ever seen so much thrashing in its lifetime... oh i love cars
Tsk Tsk ! You should never do illegal things in a rental car. I work for a rental car company and let me tell you.... if we get ANY sort of infringement (speeding, redlight, parking or deferred toll) we will charge you $33.00 for each of them.... and this is just a payment to us, not to pay for the fine. So be very wary !
Sonia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2006, 01:54 PM   #23
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^^ what's the most outragous case have you encounter while you're working there? Anyone rented a car and used it for a demolition derby? (if you've seen Jackass The Movie, you'd know what I'm talking about).

Old 13-08-2006, 02:05 PM   #24
Sonia

haha... people right off cars left right and centre !
There are people who rent a car for like 2 days and assume that seeing as it is a rental car, that they won't get any fines. One guy thought this.... and got around 40 fines in 2 days. 40 x $33 = $1320 in fees to us plus the fines to pay with the govt haha
Old 13-08-2006, 02:50 PM   #25
JD2004

strewth!!

Mrsfantz are you coming on our cruise?? it would be excellent to see more people come along

Your most welcome to join in.. especially if you can hire a Fiesta for a mate of mine

Luke
Old 13-08-2006, 07:17 PM   #26
Sonia

Not too sure if i'll be coming to this one... but I may be along for a future cruise.

I went to the E Series cruise lastnight as fantz (my other half) has just recently bought an EL Fairmont Ghia.

In regards to renting a Fiesta.... no rental company in Australia has Fiesta's on their fleet..... how about a Getz or Yaris :P
Old 13-08-2006, 07:26 PM   #27
JD2004

It would be excellent if you could make the cruise!!
Would love to get more people along!!

Getz....Yaris hmm somehow the fiesta is unique in the small car range

Take care