Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 17-08-2006, 12:53 AM   #1
Patrol351
OFFROAD ART

Default * Fuel Tax Petition *

Quote:
Dear Friends,

Whenever you fill up you are paying 37.7 cents per litre Federal Tax.

The Federal Tax is then added to the cost of petrol and then 10% of this
total is then ADDED AGAIN as GST!!

So we are paying a tax on a tax.

When GST was introduced it was supposed to replace all other taxes.

Please sign the petition below to have the federal tax removed!

(This would have the immediate effect of taking 41.5 cents off per litre!!

Please forward this to all your friends.

http://www.petitiononline.com/afer/petition.html
got this off outerlimits4x4
i signed it in hope some thing will happen pass it on make some noise

Patrol351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 12:58 AM   #2
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

waste of time, they won't do it - i would rather see tax kept there and tax incentives on the use of bio-fuels - excise on fossil fuels removed would only delay the inevitable
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 01:42 AM   #3
LTDHO
The one and only

I will do less than jack s**t
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 01:56 AM   #4
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And where do you propose that the government re-coup the lost revenue from petrol sales? Which area of the budget would you cut that kind of expenditure? Our roads are bad enough, hospitals understaffed, police understaffed and underpaid, class sizes too big and resources in schools limited, aged care is a shambles, prisons are over crowded and under staffed, and the list goes on.

Fuel excise is a huge money spinner for the government, they aren't going to give that up for anything!

Even if they did, which they wont, but if they did, they either jack up interest rates, or income tax, which would hit everyone hard. Fuel excise is a user pays tax, nice and fair.

People know the price of driving, if you cant afford it, buy a bike, or take the bus.

Same as people generally whinging about petrol prices. If it's too dear, find an alternative. People whinge, but still fill their car up every week! There is no other options! Streamline your usage and daily tasks the best you can, and cop the rest on the chin like everyone else with a car.
schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 10:46 AM   #5
max
LWBforME

Just getcha self an LPG conversion and cop the $2000 reward. With a bit of luck you might get out of it for $1800 and you can keep the change!
max is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 10:53 AM   #6
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Where's the petition I sign to prevent the government from intervening????

Or the "theres more important things in life than petrol prices" petition??

Or the "we're running out of oil, why reduce the price and increase the speed at which we use the last of it" petition??
Old 17-08-2006, 10:55 AM   #7
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidty
People know the price of driving, if you cant afford it, buy a bike, or take the bus.
Exactly. I've been saying this for a long time - I don't know why everyone bothers to keep whinging about petrol prices. It won't change anything. This is the way it is and petrol prices are what they are. Deal with it!
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~

Last edited by FRDGAL; 17-08-2006 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Coz I can.
FRDGAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 10:59 AM   #8
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
the "we're running out of oil, why reduce the price and increase the speed at which we use the last of it" petition??
I want to find that one aswell...

FPV & XR Owners Club of Qld
Want more info on our club?
fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
GCFordChic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 11:19 AM   #9
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

Just had a look at the petition then, 25,000 people have left their name.

Unfortunatley some dumb asses thought they could leave their name repeatedly and it would count for more?? Hmm

Others made some pretty interesting comments, and some were just GOLD!!!

SO I have decided to help these people through their greif and trauma, sorta like a marraige counsellor, but for fuel.

Keep reading for more

(Please note these comments are not aimed at commenting on a persons situation or status, but rather how they didnt think about what they wrote on the stupid petition)
05MkIIFutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 11:23 AM   #10
max
LWBforME

Quote:
And where do you propose that the government re-coup the lost revenue from petrol sales? Which area of the budget would you cut that kind of expenditure? Our roads are bad enough, hospitals understaffed, police understaffed and underpaid, class sizes too big and resources in schools limited, aged care is a shambles, prisons are over crowded and under staffed, and the list goes on.

Fuel excise is a huge money spinner for the government, they aren't going to give that up for anything!

Even if they did, which they wont, but if they did, they either jack up interest rates, or income tax, which would hit everyone hard. Fuel excise is a user pays tax, nice and fair.

Same as people generally whinging about petrol prices. If it's too dear, find an alternative. People whinge, but still fill their car up every week! There is no other options! Streamline your usage and daily tasks the best you can, and cop the rest on the chin like everyone else with a car.
Is not a proportion of the fuel tax going into national highway improvements? I am happy to pay for that. How is the fed govt going to recoup the $2000 lpg conversion incentive payment which could amount to a billion dollars? Not by letting national highways deteriorate again I hope.
max is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 11:26 AM   #11
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

Quote:
I work during the week and I go to night school.I have to travel over 70km's each way.With rising petrol costs,I would now be better off on the dole,as I could get cheap rego,schooling and travel.Isn't this strange?Even as it is I can’t catch the train anyway as I leave too early and get back too late for the train.I spend nearly a third of my wage on petrol alone!Listen to this issue please!I am trying to better my future.I work,I pay taxes,I do not drain the economy,just build it.Mr Howard,how far removed are you?Most people don’t get good money & not all people have access to public transport as a cheaper option.This is devastating, not just annoying.Life is hard,1 example is that NOW my family doesn’t buy meat,and eats very little dairy food, to cut down costs & even though I have a job,we often have to buy clothes at the op shop.You can say there is nothing wrong with op shops, but you’d think with working, I could buy clothes from a real shop? Wouldn’t you? Does this sound like a good life Mr Howard?

If you are travelling 70km a day, move.

Your right, it is devastating that you no longer eat meat. Is this maybe a reason for your lack of logical thought?? Maybe you should try extending your diet back away from just Vegetables to a little more dairy and meat?

Mate, if Johnny up on capital hill quits charging us tax for fuel, your other taxes will go up and there wont be any dole for you to go on and no child carer allowance from the govt for your 10 children

PS: Personally i think the OP shop is good place to find a bargain, beats the socks of Target or KMart.
Old 17-08-2006, 11:27 AM   #12
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

Quote:
So much for a fair go! i have had to go back to work early after having our baby just to make ends meet and now here in Port Hedland fuel is app $1.60p/l
The baby bonus. Use it to offset the costs of fuel. Or, i believe the bonus is going up next year and up and up and upe after that, so just keep on popping em out.
Old 17-08-2006, 11:30 AM   #13
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

Quote:
Our governments handling of petrol and related econimics is not in the best interest of ordinary Australians
Please explain that one, it should be interesting. Who pays for all the things the Aussies take for granted???
Old 17-08-2006, 12:58 PM   #14
jimmy_c
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05MkIIFutura
Please explain that one, it should be interesting. Who pays for all the things the Aussies take for granted???

Whoever said that has a point and you will work it out soon enough. :voldar02:
jimmy_c is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 01:53 PM   #15
Miss_XR6

petrol prices are here to stay and they will keep rising if u are so unhappy with it sell the car and get a smaller car or public transport or if u love your car so much u will keep paying the petrol no matter what it cost
Miss_XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 01:56 PM   #16
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by max
Just getcha self an LPG conversion and cop the $2000 reward. With a bit of luck you might get out of it for $1800 and you can keep the change!
I already enquired about this. Your get $2,000, but if the conversion costs you $1,800, this is all they will give you
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 02:06 PM   #17
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
I already enquired about this. Your get $2,000, but if the conversion costs you $1,800, this is all they will give you
Makes sense to me that a goverment rebate (funded buy taxpayers) doesnt allow people to profit from there LPG conversion. If it had of allowed you2 I would have been staright on to my federal member Kate Ellis.

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 02:12 PM   #18
EF, What else?
A Bloke

Quote:

Unfortunately, not all of us live in the city. I am buying a bike, but thats only to get me to the shops and back, buses around here are non-existant, so we are reliant on petrol and cars. Any price rise in petrol cuts deep into my poor uni budget, another 10-15cents, and I have to seriously consider moving or dropping my studies.
Old 17-08-2006, 02:30 PM   #19
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nobody forced you to buy a large 6 cylinder Falcon, get something cheaper to run if it's cutting in to your budget
Old 17-08-2006, 02:36 PM   #20
EF, What else?
A Bloke

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
Nobody forced you to buy a large 6 cylinder Falcon, get something cheaper to run if it's cutting in to your budget
And what happens when I can't afford to run a 4cylinder? Buy a motorised scooter? On the Kuranda Range? I think not
Old 17-08-2006, 02:42 PM   #21
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whinge Whinge Whinge. Everyone gets a say in taxes theoretically every four or so years anyway. Obviously those in the opposition party have some form of background in economics and an overall grasp of Government fund and Government spending. Funny there's no credible second "lets cut the fuel excise" option. Perhaps it's because the taxation system that we have now is for all those things that we take for granted.

If people want to whinge about fuel excise, start a political party and run in the federal elections. You only need a partition of 500 people I believe to form a party (ask Pauline, I believe she'd know), so if these 25,000 signatories are ligitimate, go and knock yourselves out. I can tell you whats going to happen though - absolutely nothing.

Don't like the politicians in power or their policies? Vote for the opposition. Opposition no good? Go and run for parliament yourselves. Will you? Hell no, because everyone is gutless. I'm sick to death of whingers out there complaining about the government, politicians and policies. Time some people put their money where their mouth is.

And incidently, there was a "cut beer and fuel excise" party running in the last NSW state elections. I believe they didn't win a seat. I wonder why......

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
Where's the petition I sign to prevent the government from intervening????

Or the "we're running out of oil, why reduce the price and increase the speed at which we use the last of it" petition??
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF, What else?
I have to seriously consider moving or dropping my studies.
Move closer, you'd be stupid to drop your studies now - means all the time you've spent at uni would be wasted.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 02:51 PM   #22
tasker1986

Look i think your all just going a bit overboard i can afford this fuel prices no worries i still think it is a *** load of ***** and i believe it needs to be re-assessed i think the rest of the population would agree that this is ridiculous and just stupid.! I reckon we should stop exporting and paying 10 times as much per barrel and start our own refineries and make other countries buy it off us.. It's a dog eat dog world out their and the pussy's just get fkd over! !!!!!!!!!!!!!! my 2c's
tasker1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 02:55 PM   #23
tasker1986

oh and 1 more beer prices went up again $43 a slab of vb's and their the worst beer possible.! gime a good ol crowny or becks anyday! for $80 a slab :'(
tasker1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 08:16 PM   #24
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Unfortunately, not all of us live in the city. I am buying a bike, but thats only to get me to the shops and back, buses around here are non-existant, so we are reliant on petrol and cars. Any price rise in petrol cuts deep into my poor uni budget, another 10-15cents, and I have to seriously consider moving or dropping my studies.

Dude i dont live in town. Live out of town a fair bit. And i know that 1 of the things that goes with living out of town is the fact that i spend a hell of a lot more on fuel than most that live in town. As stated above, we spend somewhere in the vicinity of $20k per year on fuel, between me and the missus. How do you think a 30% increase in the average fuel prices affect me compared to someone spending $40 per week on fuel who lives in the city? A 30% increase for them is minimal, a 30% increase for me is huge! But i know my options, if i want to keep going how i am i pay the price, or i cat back on travel and seriously consider where i drive and if its necessity, or i move into town and put the extra money saved on fuel into a more expensive piece of real estate anyway. I choose to cop it on the chin and keep going the way i am.

And you mention moving out or dropping your studies? All because of petrol? I know it's tough, but if you see your uni course as something thats necessary for your future progression in life and to where you ultimately want to be, that should be whats dictating your direction, not rising fuel prices. You should do what you need to to get through uni, not throw it away because the price of crude continues to rise.

I think people need to be realistic and see that this is where we are at, fuel prices are never going to drop back to previous levels, no matter how much hoping and dreaming anyone does. You look at the price of driving, and determine if you can afford it or not. If not, then time to look at alternatives. I'm not going to sell my car thats for sure, or stop riding my motorbike.
schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 09:42 PM   #25
elusiverunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wink * Fuel Tax Petition *

I will sign. It makes me laugh how everyone complains about increases in petrol, but when someone comes up with an idea that may or may not work we all have reasons why someone is trying to do something is wasting their time.

The government is double-dipping after all. They also get a lot more taxes from just about everything you eat, drink or just buy. :alien2:
Bolle Window Tint - fitted by Tint a Car
PWR Heat Exchanger, PWR Auto Transmission Oil Cooler - No milkshakes in this car.

After market DRL.
Custom fitted gauge holder with three gauges - Stav of Stingray Car Security.
elusiverunner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 10:00 PM   #26
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
And what happens when I can't afford to run a 4cylinder? Buy a motorised scooter? On the Kuranda Range? I think not
So you will have a 6 cylinder now, that you can't afford to run, and whinge about it, when you can have a small car that uses half the fuel, and maintenance is cheaper, because in 10 years time you might not be able to afford to run the cheaper car? That makes real sense, buy a V12 you obviously have the solution!
Old 17-08-2006, 10:25 PM   #27
EF, What else?
A Bloke

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
So you will have a 6 cylinder now, that you can't afford to run, and whinge about it, when you can have a small car that uses half the fuel, and maintenance is cheaper, because in 10 years time you might not be able to afford to run the cheaper car? That makes real sense, buy a V12 you obviously have the solution!
V12 it is then! :
Old 17-08-2006, 10:26 PM   #28
tommoxr6
tommoxr6

yea yea everyones a whinger and noone wants to do nothing about it. pauline hanson tried didnt she and what happened to her all the poli's get together and screw her over and off to jail pauline, who'd wanna try? if the fuel excise was to "dissappear" how are the governments to recover that loss? im sure not one politician would put their hand up and surrender their fuel card or suffer reduction in expenses and salary yea right! But im sure if politicians were paid as much as everyone else they wouldnt be politicians, so what do you? deal with it? whinge? or maybe if this petition can get enough numbers and support maybe someone will put their hand up and take the fight to the polls. i dont know i can only think that Australians can only be pushed so far.
What i love most about our contradicting government is that they announce $2000 packages for gas conversion since it does only cost 40% of fuel pw and turns around the next day and says gas could soon cost as much as petrol. Are we fools to sit and listen to this cueball or is there no other way
tommoxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 10:27 PM   #29
tommoxr6
tommoxr6

wrong thread dudes sorry
tommoxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 10:33 PM   #30
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by elusiverunner
I will sign. It makes me laugh how everyone complains about increases in petrol, but when someone comes up with an idea that may or may not work we all have reasons why someone is trying to do something is wasting their time.

The government is double-dipping after all. They also get a lot more taxes from just about everything you eat, drink or just buy. :alien2:
I agree with that. The idea of GST was all goods & services are taxed at 10% I though the total taxes on petrol to the govt is closer to 40 to 45% per litre. Petion signed.

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post