Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 31-08-2006, 09:43 PM   #1
Junkz0r

Default After real, useful advise on blood transfusion (oil)

Hi boys and girls.

I have been doing a lot of looking around in these here E series forums but it seems nobody can give a concise and/or clear answer regarding engine oils. So let me explain and try to be as detailed as possible in the hopes I may get some good advise or even the right advise on the blood my baby needs.

Here it is... I have a 92 EB series II ghia with a 4.0 mpfi 6 that has just over 170k on the clock.

The engine is not the one that came with the car and was a reco with headwork and cam etc (I don't know the specifics as it wasn't me who had the work done) which is no more than 50k old. Last oil change I put in Castol Magnatec 10/40 with a Ryco brand filter approx 6 months ago.

Here is my dilemma, about 2 months ago my oil pressure when at optimal temperature started to seem quite low. Now I understand our beloved E series ford oil pressure gauges measure pressure in BAR (as opposed to a more realistic PSI or anything else useful). Now 2 BAR is apparently around 30 psi. I'm now expert but is that not a little bit low for oil pressure? I have read here conflicting stories that these engines prefer flow over pressure and vice versa but ****ed if I know as this is my first E series.

Anyway... I'm babbling so here it is. Oil change time, the magnatec 10/40 is too thin as I have noticed slight seeping. The oil is still relatively clean but needs something thicker... Seriously and without bulls#@t, what are the real world recommendations; including filter. My limited experience with the current lube would indicate that she doesn't really like thin viscosity that flows easily and probably prefers something that gives resistance (pressure).

Your opinions are greatly appreciated.

Junkz0r is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 11:04 PM   #2
MacGyver

Many of us use Penrite HPR10 or 15. I have used it in 650,000k falcons and 180,000k falcons, alfa romeos and everything in between. It has never let me down. Never leaks and engines are always quiet. However I am at the moment trying a thinner oil to see what happens but if you think the pressure is a bit low it won't hurt to use the HPR's.

For filters, as long as it isn't a 99c el-cheapo, then I have not found any difference in how clean/dirty the oils and have never had one blow out.

cheers
Scott
MacGyver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2006, 12:09 PM   #3
Junkz0r

Thanks for that advice MacGuyver. Hmmm HPR15 is a 15/60 weight semi-synthetic... Im not sure but isn't 60 a bit heavy??

I guess sticking with the good old Ryco filter wouldn't hurt, but i've heard about K&N oil filters.. Anyone know where I can find them and are they worth the premium price?
Junkz0r is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post