Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 04-10-2006, 10:47 PM   #1
jpb84
Manual XR8

Default Time to put it to the experts.

Alright i have just sold my old wagon and i need some advise.
I have a EL2 XR8 regency red xr8 mags. Heads have been flowed it has a mild cam and apparently has been chipped, (have no idea how to check.)
I have $1200 to spend on her and i have no idea what to spend it on.

1. freshen up the motor a little as it has done 195,000km

2. spend it on the body take out all the little dents and ripples and get it looking shmick.

3. buy a new set of rims.

4. somone please enlighten me on why i should get a mini spool and how is it differnet to a lsd.(at the moment my lsd is only spinning 1 wheel on dry bitchy)

I am open to suggestions and ideas because i have no idea and i want to spend it wisely.

GUTS - Is arriving home late after a night out with the guys, being met by your wife with a broom, and having the guts to ask: "Are you still cleaning, or are you flying somewhere?"
BALLS - Is coming home late after a night out with the guys, smelling of perfume and beer, lipstick on your collar, slapping your wife on the butt and having the balls to say: "You're next."
jpb84 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2006, 10:51 PM   #2
needfordspeed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

OK i'm an expert and I think you should go with number 2, nothing beats a CLEAN looking car.

About the minispool, if you always do burnouts then you should get it as it's alot cheaper than rebuilding your LSD, the minispool will lock both axles so there will be no slip, it'll skip around corners etc
1988 EA S-Pack|MPI|LSD|AIT turbo manifold|Garrett GT3540|3" Exhaust turbo back|Cooler|Sports ryder shocks|Pedders lows|Resprayed|Microtech LT8s|60lb Injectors|Bosch 044 with surge tank|3000 RPM stall|Ported AU head|Turbo grind cam|Crow double valve springs|1.3mm MLS headgasket|C4 Conversion|Built bottom end|Custom plenum|10.6@125MPH
needfordspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2006, 10:59 PM   #3
frost
Banned

buy $1200 worth of hookers for the car opps no they are all good points either motor or rims!
frost is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2006, 11:02 PM   #4
sam12h
Runnin C3H8 & C4H10

Reco the LSD & that will leave change for something else.

Limited Slip Diff. Borg warner use a clutch cone system, & the cones do wear out. Torque is transferred to both wheels as the clutch cones allow the wheels to turn at different speeds around corners. If one wheel has no traction, the other one effectively takes over.

Mini spool locks the axles together. Wheels will turn at the same speed, no matter what. Sensational on the track, but you will regret it no end on a street car. Parking is noisy & akward, you will chew out the rear bushings in a very short time, can snap axles & are very dangerous in the wet. It creates snap oversteer on or off the power. Besides which spools & mini spools are illegal, with good reason.

I've driven both & the LSD wipes its bum with the spool everywhere but a bone dry racetrack. Even then there is bugger all in it with the mini spool having a bit more of a tendancy to understeer.
sam12h is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2006, 11:03 PM   #5
jpb84
Manual XR8

hmmmmm
hookers you say.

GUTS - Is arriving home late after a night out with the guys, being met by your wife with a broom, and having the guts to ask: "Are you still cleaning, or are you flying somewhere?"
BALLS - Is coming home late after a night out with the guys, smelling of perfume and beer, lipstick on your collar, slapping your wife on the butt and having the balls to say: "You're next."
Old 04-10-2006, 11:03 PM   #6
Kryton

ill go with number 2 as well.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2006, 11:05 PM   #7
jpb84
Manual XR8

what should a lsd rebuild cost me?

Old 04-10-2006, 11:14 PM   #8
sam12h
Runnin C3H8 & C4H10

Brand new LSD carrier for $500 http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Borgwarner-He...QQcmdZViewItem

Don't buy that one without checking fitment, but use that as a benchmark when getting quotes. Diff place will charge labour, but they won't be supplying a whole new carrier.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:21 PM   #9
sam12h
Runnin C3H8 & C4H10

This should be what new LSD clutch cones look like http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Borgwarner-25...QQcmdZViewItem

Again, don't buy without checking fitment, but it is the only picture I can find.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:33 PM   #10
simok

go the paint work mate you cant beat a neat car
simok is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2006, 11:33 PM   #11
EF302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

no.1
as series 2 already has a good manifold, i would get some decent heads(gt40p's,around $700) but since u said yours have been ported, maybe bigger maf & trottle body to get it goin a bit quicker,
all parts are direct swap from an au xr8.
or some new rims.lol
EF302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2006, 11:43 PM   #12
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

take a look at paintless dent removal for those little dents. I dont' have experience with it but understand it is much cheaper.
Bill_R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2006, 11:56 PM   #13
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Pacemakers + Twin 2.25 or single 3" Lukey system

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2006, 12:50 AM   #14
jpb84
Manual XR8

so far bodywork is looking like the way to go.

Old 05-10-2006, 12:55 AM   #15
TWiZTiD
TWiZTiD EA

rebuild the LSD your self can be done really well in a few hours work and be driving again.

Then go some engine mods
10/89 EA 11 Spac5 Speed, Mpfi, EL XR6 Cam, EF/EL Thermo Fans, EL BBM Intake, Sports Exhurst, ED Bonnet, ED XR6 Boot, Boot Lip, Garnish and Lights, ED Electric Mirrors, Trip Computer, Clear Indicators, EB XR6 Steering Wheel, King Superlows, Monroe GT Shocks and EL GT copy Rims.
15.3 @ 90 mph
TWiZTiD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2006, 01:00 AM   #16
Sundeep
Banned

I vote body work buddy.

A fresh motor, mini spool and wheels won't turn heads like a mint looking EL XR8 would. Any shiny old car pulls looks.

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2006, 01:03 AM   #17
EFFalcon
Last warning

plus, 190,000km isnt that old anyway.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2006, 01:08 AM   #18
jpb84
Manual XR8

i think i am going to get the body done i really want it lookinbg a million $$$$ for the aff xmas cruise. But if anyone knows where there are a set of cheap gt rims let me know i think it will look the goods with the regency. I have seen the rims in werribe

Old 05-10-2006, 10:30 AM   #19
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I vote for option 2. I'll be doing the same thing with mine when I've got the cash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2006, 11:42 AM   #20
Christiaan
Tuned @ Pitlane Frankston

Dan, they don't need pacemakers. The EL GT extractors flow 150rwkw ;)

Yeah fix the body up. But for $1200, don't expect miracles in that department.
Christiaan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2006, 12:17 PM   #21
FRDXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So your the guy that ended up buying this car! I would have bought it for a very cheap if you didnt put your offer on it on the Sunday :

Definantly do the bodywork first dude, it did need a fair a bit of attention from what i remember i was going to do the following if i bought it:

- Front bar needs to be realigned (right hand side popping out a bit)
- Passenger side indicator has massive gap (probably due to front bar alignment)
- Bog the passenger rear quarter where his cousin scraped it and possibly the rear door too.
- Then get the rear 1/4, rear spoiler (lots of scratches on bottom right hand side) and rear bar sparayed at the same time.
- Get a dint remover guy to go over the car (think there was a few on the doors and left rear quarter)
- Then finally fix up the paint chips with some touchup paint and give the car a good wash, go over with clay bar, polish then wax it.

That should get it looking fairly neat!

Did you sort out the issue with the engine, was it just the timing that was making it run rough and have you reconnected the stereo yet it looked like a nice setup.

It was a nice pickup just needed a bit of TLC.
FRDXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2006, 12:27 PM   #22
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

yeh how about a full exhaust setup? otherwise no.2. get it looking mint!
Old 05-10-2006, 12:48 PM   #23
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Hookers and beer.

Clean the body up. Wish mine was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWiZTiD
rebuild the LSD your self can be done really well in a few hours work and be driving again.
Done it have we?
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2006, 01:12 PM   #24
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Clean the body up.
The hooker?

As for LSD, Pilch got his backlash and heel/toe stuff correct first go (prolly luck). Took him only a couple of hours.
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2006, 01:47 PM   #25
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuresm58
Dan, they don't need pacemakers. The EL GT extractors flow 150rwkw ;)
and run 15.5

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2006, 03:08 PM   #26
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L
The hooker?

As for LSD, Pilch got his backlash and heel/toe stuff correct first go (prolly luck). Took him only a couple of hours.
Yeah, luck.

And I don't touch dirty hookers.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2006, 03:14 PM   #27
ORSMEB
Steve

I'd go with the body work, then rims
Old 05-10-2006, 03:37 PM   #28
Christiaan
Tuned @ Pitlane Frankston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkinshaw
and run 15.5
You of all people should know the importance of cog shifting.
Christiaan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2006, 04:08 PM   #29
TWiZTiD
TWiZTiD EA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
Done it have we?
Yep just did my EL XR diff this week was easy.
10/89 EA 11 Spac5 Speed, Mpfi, EL XR6 Cam, EF/EL Thermo Fans, EL BBM Intake, Sports Exhurst, ED Bonnet, ED XR6 Boot, Boot Lip, Garnish and Lights, ED Electric Mirrors, Trip Computer, Clear Indicators, EB XR6 Steering Wheel, King Superlows, Monroe GT Shocks and EL GT copy Rims.
15.3 @ 90 mph
TWiZTiD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2006, 04:56 PM   #30
jpb84
Manual XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRDXR6

Did you sort out the issue with the engine, was it just the timing that was making it run rough and have you reconnected the stereo yet it looked like a nice setup.

It was a nice pickup just needed a bit of TLC.

Engine just needed a good tune and service.
Timing was way out and the lumpy cam it has is not making it any smother at idle. The guys in the service department at work have done a great job. replaced the plugs, leads and bealts.
Passenger side doors are getting done tomorrow Aus dent are doing that for me through work.
The rear 1/4 is getting pulled and painted next week and the front bar will be done when hey go over it for me and touch everything up.
As you know the car has heaps of potential but needs some luv'en and i am going to give it to it.
the main thing is the motor and running gear are fine body it the fun part.
Stereo is FU&^%g great the subs are crap so i have replaced them with 1 12" but the fronts and rears are really good sound.

I have put all the deatils of the other things in you thread here.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=65721