Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-04-2005, 04:11 PM   #1
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Talking NSW Rader question

Hi All
Just got back from a drive from Sydney to Coffs Harbour.
Lots if fixed Radar cameras, 5 hand helds (moslty around Coffs Harbour) and 2 in BA Falcon station wagons.

I noticed that both the wagons had no cops in or aorund the the car, and only one had a small rader sign on opposite side of the road.
Now I was being a good boy (family in car). My questions are:
Can moblie cameras be left in the car without an officer around ?
and
Do these types of rader "flash" when they go off? For taht matter do all types of radar cameras "flash"?
Uncle_Ken

PS Got good full consumption ther and back
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2005, 04:37 PM   #2
MightyXR6Turbo
Boooostn'

Well, I can give you an SA perspective, you will RARELY see anyone in a parked radar car... they just park them, set them up and leave them to do their thing. SOMETIMES they will flash during the day, but the flash is really only there for night time, so yeah, during the day it probably wont flash at you. All speed cameras will flash at night so they can see what your number plate is, that would be all.
MightyXR6Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2005, 04:38 PM   #3
XRQTOR
Banned

No camera's flash anymore at all. Those staion wagons would have had a copper in them, probally lying down asleep in the back. But they always have coppers in them. And the signs are always on the same side of the road but past the camera car so that when you go past speeding you then relized oh **** i got done.
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2005, 04:39 PM   #4
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyEFGhia
Well, I can give you an SA perspective, you will RARELY see anyone in a parked radar car... they just park them, set them up and leave them to do their thing. SOMETIMES they will flash during the day, but the flash is really only there for night time, so yeah, during the day it probably wont flash at you. All speed cameras will flash at night so they can see what your number plate is, that would be all.
All the nsw cameras fixed or in car camers (Stationary) use infa red lights.
Old 23-04-2005, 04:43 PM   #5
T3man
Banned

No they aren't always manned. There is a wagon near me that is set up early in the morning and left to its own devices all day. I past it one day and saw that someone had placed a sunshade over the front windscreen heheheh.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2005, 05:01 PM   #6
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
No they aren't always manned. There is a wagon near me that is set up early in the morning and left to its own devices all day. I past it one day and saw that someone had placed a sunshade over the front windscreen heheheh.
Thats why they are always man'd (They are suposed to be), i havent seen one without a copper in it. They had a big problem with people smashing the windows on them or spraying them black but they wonder why. I bet that bloke would'ov got a get in the ****, 573 speeding fines all issued toi the same sun shade.
Old 23-04-2005, 05:01 PM   #7
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

THanks Folks, just wondering
uncle_ken
Old 23-04-2005, 05:35 PM   #8
T3man
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTOR
Thats why they are always man'd (They are suposed to be), i havent seen one without a copper in it. They had a big problem with people smashing the windows on them or spraying them black but they wonder why. I bet that bloke would'ov got a get in the ****, 573 speeding fines all issued toi the same sun shade.
I guess in the bush it doesn't happen that often - but I personally know the bloke who put the sunshade over this car's screen and there was definitely no-one at home - er .. um .. I mean he told me that there was definitely no-one home
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2005, 05:35 PM   #9
xceler8shun
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
No camera's flash anymore at all. Those staion wagons would have had a copper in them, probally lying down asleep in the back. But they always have coppers in them. And the signs are always on the same side of the road but past the camera car so that when you go past speeding you then relized oh **** i got done.

There was a white station wagon parked on the highway just heading into Orange from Bathurst last week, from the look of it no one was inside and the sign was actually on the other side of the road only just sticking out of the long grass. There were no lights on top of the wagon and from front on you couldnt tell it was a police car.
xceler8shun is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2005, 05:45 PM   #10
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Not that they are $$$ makers.
The government likes the NSW police to be highly visible, you now like hiding in the long grass.

On the issue of speed, I was very impressed with the lack of 'idots' on the trip up and back. No one speeding and/or darting in and out of traffic.
I felt very safe with the family on board.
Uncle Ken
Old 23-04-2005, 07:56 PM   #11
devil cv8

Quote:
A little town called Bredbo that I drive through frequently is a favourite with the cops... The sign has always been on the other side of the road, the car has usually been a marked (but no lightbar) falcon wagon, and the best one was, the camera car up one end of the main road, and cops with lidar down the other end... Always use cruise through there.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2005, 08:01 PM   #12
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

yeah we are the home of speed cameras here in Coffs.
you would have noticed tons of fixed ones between here and port macquarie
Old 23-04-2005, 08:06 PM   #13
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

There is a fixed camera I pass every day to and from work, and it still flashes.
It also sometimes has a small blue flashing light on the back of it when it's dark.
But not always.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2005, 11:46 PM   #14
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

u guys have pretty sneaky cops round.

in ACT we have these white mercedez vans wit cameras in them. they can do both ways at any time (i think coz ive seen it wit cameras in the front and rear windows). u can pick them a mile off and the locations r posted on the internet so u know where they r. they have signs sayn "speed cameras used in this area." most ppl just slow down to the speed limit and see if the vans r there. if theyre not they just gun it. the cops r pretty predictable in canberra.

not many fixed cameras in ACT and ive been told that out of them some r just fakes (its just a flash and a empty camera box) and they swap the actual camera round town every now and again. but plenty of these vans r round. one road i went on had bout 3 of them in about 2kms.

ive seen on news footage of fixed cameras in sydney and where ever else where they r constantly busting ppl (constantly flashing). i mean ppl still go speedn past even though they know theyre there.

i even heard that they have some 4WD cameras that r just parked on the street that look normal-this true?
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2005, 02:52 AM   #15
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

At least 4 between Coffs and Port and its worse now that both Kempsey and Macksville are 50kph on the highway through town and its even harder to stay on limit through Freddo since resurfacing and widening.

Last edited by deesun; 24-04-2005 at 02:55 AM.
deesun is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2005, 04:26 PM   #16
460cixy
burn out king

the canberra mobile vans have flash at night. and are maned by pubes from urban services/rta. as michay said thay can take pics from front and rear but dont think thay do it at the same time . when a mate and my self were gainfuly unemployed we used to drive round till we found a camera hop out with our signs slowing the trafic down and realy ****ing the camera operator off by following them around town all day long doing it one got out and tryed to start a fight was funny as.

Last edited by 460cixy; 24-04-2005 at 04:29 PM.
460cixy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2005, 07:06 PM   #17
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol thats tops mate
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2005, 04:17 AM   #18
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Well, in Syd i got done by a Lidar at the bottom of a steep hill... and plus straight after where the cop was it does a huge climb up another hill..... i pasted the cop (who was on the opposite side of the street and hidding behind a light post) and after driving past the next side street, a XR6T came flying up to me... my life stopped then and there... no driving for 3 months.... bloody double demerits. But what ****ed me off was that it was at the bottom of a steep hill.... like wtf

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2005, 02:45 PM   #19
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
But what ****ed me off was that it was at the bottom of a steep hill.... like wtf
Police SOPs for the highway cars suggest that they should not book anyone for "speeding" down a steep hill that would otherwise require the driver to brake unless the speed is considered excessive.

As for having a guy in the car, every one I have seen has had someone either in the car or around the car. Given these camera units can cost up to $130,000, they usually worry about someone firebomobing the car etc.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2005, 03:00 PM   #20
xrdreaming

Welcome to Victoria, the home of revenue raising. Just park the car on the side of the road and start making money, no warning signs or anything like that, that would be silly as people might actually slow down if signs were around.
xrdreaming is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post