Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 19-04-2007, 09:00 PM   #1
drracing108
au1xlsv8

Default ECU ideas??

hi, i live in alice springs and my engine is getting sent down south to be rebuilt with performance parts, and i have no idea what to do with my ECU, there isnt anything i can do in town, is there a way i can send it away and get something done with it? if so what can be done? cheers

drracing108 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2007, 09:19 PM   #2
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

not really, i used to live there and there's crap all, your best bet would be to go to adelaide and get an edit done, either that or go an aftermarket ecu, without the engine in the car they can't really do much to tune it
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2007, 09:44 PM   #3
drracing108
au1xlsv8

what about chiptorque? or the haltech interceptor?
Old 19-04-2007, 10:21 PM   #4
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

either of them probably aren't too bad, but it depends on what you want from the car. from what i understand the edit is the best you can get, and for what you would pay for either of those chips, plus tuning, the edit is better value
Old 19-04-2007, 10:26 PM   #5
drracing108
au1xlsv8

yeh fair enough, but this car is stayin in alice, the car is being used for tarmac rallys, the intercepter is probably the way to go, but if the chiptorque would work with hardcore modifications then thats the easiest...
Old 19-04-2007, 10:32 PM   #6
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Problem is that no matter what you will most likely need to get it custom tuned to your car and if there is no one in town to do it then you either have to take it somewhere that can do it or you are stuffed.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2007, 10:35 PM   #7
sprjenkins
Spr Jenkins

If the engine is getting sent down south anyway get them to flash tune it on an engine dyno. Most good performance places can do this no sweat.

-Mathematicians have found that due to the excessive amount of women Chuck Norris has slept with, it is guaranteed that he appears in your family tree a minimum of three times

-Chuck Norris doesn't sleep. He waits.

-Chuck Norris once worked as a weatherman for the San Diego evening news. Every night he would make the same forecast: Partly Cloudy with a 75% chance of Pain.
sprjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2007, 11:10 PM   #8
drracing108
au1xlsv8

redxr347 u have the same engine set up as i am going for, there is one place in town that can tune it, (im pretty sure anyway) and to sprjenkins it will be going on an engine dyno
Old 20-04-2007, 01:56 PM   #9
sprjenkins
Spr Jenkins

so get them to do the ecu for you then, the edit will work fine unless your engine is getting some real serious performance, if thats the case then your probably not strapped for cashh anyway and can afford the aftermarket ecu

-Mathematicians have found that due to the excessive amount of women Chuck Norris has slept with, it is guaranteed that he appears in your family tree a minimum of three times

-Chuck Norris doesn't sleep. He waits.

-Chuck Norris once worked as a weatherman for the San Diego evening news. Every night he would make the same forecast: Partly Cloudy with a 75% chance of Pain.
sprjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2007, 03:38 PM   #10
xr8ute
Back on the road

What is being changed on your engine? Not sure who is around/near Alice Springs.

Are you changing MAF, or injectors at all?

Depending on how radical it is going to be, you may be able to get away with a conservative "mail-order" tune from one of the more experienced tuners. You could then take a holiday with the car to Perth, Adelaide, or Melbourne to get it finished off (or fly them into Alice?)...

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2007, 08:05 PM   #11
drracing108
au1xlsv8

well pretty much a complete engine build, forged pistons, big cam, head work, larger injectors, most likely 347 stroker, there is a tuning company in town called street torque, but has a really bad reputation, does anyone kno about the haltech interceptor?? and if that would cope with this sort of mods?
Old 20-04-2007, 09:42 PM   #12
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the thing with street torque is, it depends on who you talk to, apparently they aren't that bad. i guy with a magna that had a rebuilt motor put in blew it up because he didn't take it easy, the guy that runs the place is apparently not too bad tho
Old 20-04-2007, 09:43 PM   #13
drracing108
au1xlsv8

yeh he knows his stuff, but is lazy, he has stuffed about 5 cars