Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 20-03-2005, 07:41 PM   #1
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up Greetings from the land of the free...... (Long and possibly boring)

Thought I'd point out how lucky we are to live in OZ, I'm in California for 5 weeks on training for work and it's an "interesting" place to say the least.
I'm in Sunnyvale which is in the middle of Silicone Valley and I've had quite an eye opener, it's been 14 years since I was last over here and then I was travelling about, mostly in the country so this was bound to be a different experience.
Firstly the poor buggers are in the middle of a really bad recession, We went looking for some bits and pieces today, plug adaptors for our phones etc and we went to a few malls, they all look like they are on their last legs, for those in Canberra imagine Belconnen Mall with half the shops shut down, Kmart and Myer being the survivors, at 09:00 on Sunday morning, Its really a bit sad. Cars are cheap and finance on them is also, anyone fancy a 0% lease on a new Honda?
Houses are pretty much the same prices as home though, and the Mortgage rates are a bit cheaper. The stuff the banks get up to is a bit scary, Imagine if your credit card went from 0% to 28% with no notice because the bank found out that you had a bad debit 5 years ago with another financial institution? (Minge, I've just found a way to build that BA you've always wanted )

TV is crap, 40 channels on the tele and the only thing worth watching on Friday night is a reality show about how Boyd Coddington builds rods. I wont mention the ads that reccommend a cure for feminine odour and itching, maybe they don't shower as much as us........

The news is something to be really scared of, CNN and Fox are everywhere, even McDonalds, and are so off centre in their reporting. It's no wonder the American populace is uninformed, the only focus is how the US is bringing democracy to the rest of the world, Today the headline was about some poor girl who has been a vegetable for 10 years and her husband wants to turn off her life support. The government has subpoenaed her to appear so that she has to be kept alive. Regardless of the feelings you may have on the subject you've just got to feel sorry for her and her family. More info here, http://www.usatoday.com/news/washing...congress_x.htm

The TV news had the secretary for defense revealing her blueprint for democracy for China, wonder if the Chinese know or care... This isnt the exact story but have a look and you'll be glad we have the pinko left wing ABC. Nice to have the facts interpreted for you.
http://www.townhall.com/columnists/p...20050314.shtml

So far I've only heard one loud V8, a 1990s Camaro with a very loud exhaust being driven like it was a WRX on Chapel St on Friday night, irresponsible, but it bought a smile to my face.
There are a few older cars around but a lot of them are sitting in driveways with covers on them, very few dating back before the early eighties though.

I'm a bit confused as to where the seppos do their shopping, today we drove a very long way before we found a supermarket. We wanted to try and avoid having McDonalds every night and went in search of groceries. Saw 4 GT350 Mustangs but do you think we could find a supermarket (not really, the closest we came was a 2000 GT ).
Maybe they are too busy eating out to buy groceries? I've never seen so many sizzler / pizza hut / Mo's family restaraunt clones.

I've seen a few nice trucks though, plenty of v10 Dodge rams and three F150 Lightnings so far.

Oh well, tomorrow we're off to look at San Francisco and then we've got to do some work, the worst part is there is no Easter break, they dont get Good Friday or Easter Monday holidays, there goes the road trip in the mighty Grand Prix (www.pontiac.com) to Vegas It handles like a locomotive in sand, has the turning circle of a small bus but it's a rentathrash (TM ) and I'm not paying so I've got no cause to complain.

Enjoy life in the best country in the world boys and girls, I'm off to poison someone with overproof Bundy now.
Regards,
Tote
Old 20-03-2005, 08:18 PM   #2
FordFan86
meow

that was an interesting read, things seem so different to what we are used to over here. It's good to have a well written review from what you have experienced so far
FordFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2005, 08:27 PM   #3
Barry_v
rocknrolla

the lack of older cars must have been a bit dissapointing. must be the rust. we forget how lucky we are in aus. visited any wreakers yet? you know you want to come back with a 64 1/2 mustang.
Barry_v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2005, 08:45 PM   #4
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Ahhhh the states, I can't wait to get to Arizona and blow the shit out of some stuff with machine guns.

Would the recession be related to where you are? The computers boom is well and truely over I'd say, surely the Silicone Valley is having problems with that.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2005, 08:53 PM   #5
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

If its not rust from the ocen on the West coast, it's the rust from the salt on the roads on the East coast.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2005, 10:14 PM   #6
Kryton

my dad lives in Cali so ive heard some stories too on a few subjects. would be an eye opener IMO.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2005, 02:22 PM   #7
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
Ahhhh the states, I can't wait to get to Arizona and blow the shit out of some stuff with machine guns.

Would the recession be related to where you are? The computers boom is well and truely over I'd say, surely the Silicone Valley is having problems with that.
I asked our instructor today and he said that Chicago where he comes from is the same but didnt seem to relate it to the economic situation and just said that some malls make it and some dont. Maybe it's a matter of perspective. I'm still having trouble being careful to not appear like I'm criticising the foreign policy as they are all VERY sensitive about how they are defending the free world.
Regards,
Tote
Old 22-03-2005, 04:12 PM   #8
Yum-Yum
My 1st set of Wings!!!

Hell Tote,
pull a sicky man and bugger off to Vegas over Easter, and don't forget pic's too hahahaha and what ever you do, don't eat at a '
Jack in the Box' (or so I've been told)
have a good one man.
Yum-Yum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2005, 04:23 PM   #9
bindi
Redhead extraordinaire...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tote
I asked our instructor today and he said that Chicago where he comes from is the same but didnt seem to relate it to the economic situation and just said that some malls make it and some dont. Maybe it's a matter of perspective. I'm still having trouble being careful to not appear like I'm criticising the foreign policy as they are all VERY sensitive about how they are defending the free world.
Regards,
Tote
Thanks for this Tote, it is certainly interesting reading! I am enjoying it, keep it up.

Also I think it's funny that "malls" are dying in the ***, considering how much time the teenage population of America apparently spend at them (thinking Mall Rats here).

Yes don't criticise anything American as they seem to be very supersensitive... I made that mistake on an international mailing list once (was hassling George W) and friends that I had for years who happen to be American turned on me in the bat of an eyelid to defend their rights to harrass the world with their propaganda (they call it Free Speech).

So have fun and keep us posted please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Oh, and another surefire symptom will be the Falcon badge at the back.
bindi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2005, 04:23 PM   #10
InitialD
Low and Loud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tote
TV is crap, 40 channels on the tele and the only thing worth watching on Friday night is a reality show about how Boyd Coddington builds rods.
What about PIMP MY RIDE, I love that show (Yees I am a ricer at heart)

1993 Ford Falcon XR6 Poly Green Stationwagon - 4.0 I6, Auto, 3:45LSD, All the usual XR6 Stuff but in a wagon :
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2005, 08:22 AM   #11
bindi

So Tote, how's the country dealing with that whole situation involving that chick, Terry Shaviro (sp?), you know the chick on life support? I just saw on the news that some ppl holding bibles and cups of water were arrested outside her hospital as they were caught trying to give her water to keep her alive.

It's utter madness, the whole lot. If a dog was living like this you'd have him put down, it'd be too sad to see his "life" consisted of a feeding tube, with your husband and parents fighting for the right to let you die peacefully or keep you alive for their own weird reasons.

Quote:
Old 24-03-2005, 01:52 PM   #12
Hawk
I am The Brain!

Great read. I went to America in 1993 when I was 8 years old so I don't remember a lot about what the place was like...I do remember walking through the streets of San Francisco though one night and seeing all of the beggars around.

I would like to go back sometime now that I am a little bit more educated on worldly affairs and the like to see what the place is doing.

Woohoo 1.6L 1999 Toyota Corolla....feel the power!

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant.
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2005, 01:58 PM   #13
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Quote:
Originally Posted by InitialD
What about PIMP MY RIDE, I love that show (Yees I am a ricer at heart)
True but funnier still was Pimp my Bride...
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2005, 05:50 PM   #14
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default How Much Petrol do you want sir?

I had to do the inevitable today, fill the mighty Pontiac up with petrol. I'd been putting it off as I had been caught before and knew about the pay before you lift the nozzle game.
We went to the servo and discovered that technology had progressed and now you can swipe your credit card in the bowser the same way as you can at some Mobil servos at home.
In goes the corporate AMEX, please enter your zip code, here we go.... 2612 Please enter 5 or 7 digits..... hmm I wonder if 90210 will work, Please see attendant, there is a problem with your card.
Oh well, I didnt expect it to work anyway.
Me: "Mr attendant, how much petrol do you think that car would take if its empty?"
Mr Attendant: "How much fuel do you want sir?"
Me: "I dont know, It's a rentacar and I dont know how much it takes much less how many dollars that is"
Mr Attendant: "Sir, swipe your card, how many dollars do you want?"
Me: "how much do you think?"
Mr Attendant: "Sir how much do you want" (getting surly)
Me: $20.00
Him: Thank you sir and have a nice day
Me: wanders over to the pump humming "it puts the lotion in the basket..."$20.00 put about 3/4 of a tank in it, I'm glad it didnt overfill it as that would have created a whole new conversation with Mr Attendant.

As Hawk said the beggars are a bit of a shock to the system, we did some grocery shopping last night after having found a Supermarket 5 minutes from the apartments, DOH... and there was a nice lady outside in an electric wheelchair with her oxygen bottles attached asking people for change for groceries, she could have been anyones mum, dosent pay to get sick and lose your job.
Terri Schaivo has lost her position as media darling at the moment because of the High School shooting in Wisconsin. I believe the judge told the plaintiffs that it wasnt her business to interfere, so they have to appeal to a higher court, or George Bush is going to plug her back in 'cos that's what god would do, ..or something.
It dosent pay to be a Goth here at the moment, we get a free breakfast which suits us as we dont have to worry about lunch and we can just go for a walk and have a cup of coffee and still feel like eating tea. I was eating my brekkie and watching the locals wash their 30 cm waffles covered with melted butter and syrup down with a coffee with sweet'n lo and skim milk and I overheard someones conversation at a nearby table that went something like this. "You know that he was a goth dont you", "there were Goths at Jimmy's school and they were all wierd, dosent surprise me at all" "One of them was 200 pounds, it's just not right.
This was repeated in the paper except that the blame was laid at the feet of the Neo Nazis. http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...shooting_x.htm

I think I'll steer clear of any 200 pound goths wearing swastikas that I see....

I hope that this dosent offend anyone, I have to try sooo hard not to be caustic during the day that maybe I get a little sarcastic on here, there are so many traps that you can fall into in general conversation even with people that you would normally consider rational and intelligent , I work with some pretty clever individuals who unfortunately see it as their right and duty to be the world's policeman and the minute you question US foreign policy the conversation gets turned into "are you saying those brave soldiers over there are cowards?", well no, thats not what I said, theyre just doing their job.
DONT MENTION THE WAR........

The other thing that is really surprising is the number of older people working in jobs that you would not see people of a similar age doing at home, like the very smartly dressed 50 year old bloke who was operating the checkout. Its a bit of a surprise because if you saw him on the street you'd assume that he was a reasonably well off almost retiree who's kids had left home and that he was a middle manager waiting for his superannuation.

Enjoy living in the best place in the world,
Till nextime,
Regards,
Tote
Old 24-03-2005, 07:09 PM   #15
FordFan86
meow

another piece of informative reading, thanks man
FordFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2005, 09:23 PM   #16
GTP 320
Blueprint Beast

As Hawk said great read and very informative.I suppose we are really lucky here with our living standards as compared to other country's,lets keep it this way.
Cheers John

Leather seats, Premium sound, Sunroof, Satellite Navigation, Reversing sensors, Herrods lowered suspension, Full stainless steel Quad exhaust system, Helix spacer,Open mouth cold air induction,Uni Chip,BMC air filter
GTP 320 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2005, 09:33 PM   #17
bindi

That school shooting took up one night here, then went back to business as usual - SPORT lol

LMAO at the service station guy :nutsycuck

And yes, you made my day when you said DON'T MENTION THE WAR!

Quote:
Old 25-03-2005, 10:10 AM   #18
Jamie XR6
3FB Detailing Tragic

Hey Tote,

If you are going to quote the Goodies, 'Get it right' (insert plate of Heinz bake beans here).

Its 'Go home your igloo is ON fire' LOL!
03 BA XR6T, Black, T5, Unichip tuned by Autotech Engineering (235.5 rwkW), BPT short shifter, Custom Leather, 18" rims, PBR sports calipers, Lowered, Tint, duel CAI & BMC filter, AWC bits, custom stripes.

My Website
Jamie XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2005, 10:39 AM   #19
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

This is bringing back a few memories. I went to the states back in 1996 and visited San Fransisco as well. It's a nice city, but there are good and bad parts. Lots of beggars around (something I never really saw in Melbourne) and it was quite scary for me, only being young then. We went to Vegas as well for a few nights. Too bad I was only 14.

Keep your stories coming, it's great reading.

Ash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2005, 11:42 AM   #20
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is great tote. I have never been to USA & have never really had the inclination ...... this just proves why .........

I think I would get into too many 'discussions' with the arrogant yanks to make a trip that would cost the earth a worthwhile trip .....

Keep the stories comming this is great reading ;)
MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2005, 12:16 PM   #21
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You hve to remember that California is regarded as 'the land of fruit & nuts' by the rest of the US. There are 250 million people in the place & a huge variety of 'what's normal' applies. Try to get in as much variety as you can, as American's at home (as opposed to the travelling sterotype, which we have all seen here & on our own travels) can be the friendliest, most down to earth people & (dare I say it) close to Aussies. Sure there are difference but it would be boring if we were all the same!
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.

Last edited by DRU842; 25-03-2005 at 12:17 PM.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2005, 12:24 PM   #22
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Well, I went to Detroit a few years ago (2002) and all I can say is that the people went out of their way to be friendly and helpful.
I can relate to what Tote is saying, it brings back a few odd memories, but in all I loved it. I would go back in a second, I even considered moving there.
I will say that many of them are quite ignorant of anything outside of the USA..or their own City/Suburb too. That doesnt make them bad people, it just makes for some amusing conversations.

One of the the classic conversations I had was about the animals of Australia that seem to amuse them (they were huge on the Crocodile man).
Its odd but every time we talked about an animal (Kangaroo, Emu, Crocodile) it turned out that had eaten one which blew them away. Of course, the inevitable happened and I tried to explain a Wombat to them (they had no idea) when one of them pipes up and asked "What do wombats taste like?"
General laughter all round when I looked at him and said "Uh, we dont eat wombats, thats just sick"

Actually, now that I think about it, I had quite a few laughs over there simply because they were so different.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2005, 03:57 PM   #23
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie XR6
Hey Tote,

If you are going to quote the Goodies, 'Get it right' (insert plate of Heinz bake beans here).

Its 'Go home your igloo is ON fire' LOL!
OMG, thats been there for weeks, I can't spel ! good to see someone else knows what it means though.

regards,
Tote
Old 25-03-2005, 04:10 PM   #24
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRU842
You hve to remember that California is regarded as 'the land of fruit & nuts' by the rest of the US. There are 250 million people in the place & a huge variety of 'what's normal' applies. Try to get in as much variety as you can, as American's at home (as opposed to the travelling sterotype, which we have all seen here & on our own travels) can be the friendliest, most down to earth people & (dare I say it) close to Aussies. Sure there are difference but it would be boring if we were all the same!
I agree ,and the last time I was here I travelled through Texas, the South and back via Denver. I dont want to be negative becacuse there are a lot of nice people here and last time I found California to be a different planet to the rest of the places I visited.
I'll try and be a bit more positive next time as I wouldnt discourage anyone from travelling here. Just don't do Disneyland and go home ! Unfortunately I'm pretty much stuck in California this time as I've got to work and there's no public holidays while I'm here.
regards,
Tote
Old 26-03-2005, 12:46 AM   #25
Olympus
Rocket Fuel Anyone?

Great read Tote, I've always wanted to visit the States. It's definately something I see happening in the next 5 years.
Olympus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post