Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-05-2017, 10:46 AM   #31
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Chinese electric supercar breaks Nurburgring record

G'day all....That's impressive , no doubt and has to be the way of the future , also no doubt..
That said..A few things still might make these kind of vehicles a bit suss for many of us for a good while yet perhaps..
1. Remote area recharging..like for places like mine..Highly unlikely we'll have any city style charging stations to use until a real demand comes along..

2. Re Tesla....I saw some info and vids on the S a while back..The requirement to be able to recharge the car at your own leisure at night at your home will require for older homes a lot of upgrading..The figures mentioned ..Best case scenario was 5000- $8000 and could be above $15,000...

If you were building a brand new home or bought a quite new place with all the new regs incorporated not such an issue of course.
Thing is that as petrol gets more expensive (and it will) these extra costs are less of a factor..That's a certainty..Tesla's can have a range of up to 400 km now..That's pretty good...

Regardless of the actual purchase price of EV's it's the repair and replacement of the power parts/ battery banks etc that is a serious consideration..
Many of us will want to know the nuts and bolts of all that before we fork out the spondoolies I reckon...That's a real fast car though in the vid...WOW..
Cheers Rod..

Last edited by roddy1960; 21-05-2017 at 10:54 AM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-05-2017, 10:55 AM   #32
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimXR6 View Post
For me the hardest thing to get used to would be the transmission. 1 speed sounds boring as hell. I wonder if they'll make them with multispeed boxes
There's no reason to other than arbitrarily changing gears because you want something to do with your left arm and leg.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2017, 11:06 AM   #33
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day all.....Some current (pun intended) things to consider for later on...
Re - charging your EV...this is about Tesla's..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoleOdGMyUA
and a bit more home stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMKiwyWikNs Cheers Rod...

Last edited by roddy1960; 21-05-2017 at 11:18 AM.
Old 21-05-2017, 12:35 PM   #34
XR6Runner
Sling Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
G'day all.....Some current (pun intended) things to consider for later on...
Re - charging your EV...this is about Tesla's..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoleOdGMyUA
and a bit more home stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMKiwyWikNs Cheers Rod...
No... worries. .. Rod.. ..... ..
Cheers ......... ..
XR6Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2017, 01:30 PM   #35
TimXR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp View Post
There's no reason to other than arbitrarily changing gears because you want something to do with your left arm and leg.
For nostalgic reasons of course. Driver experience too. Not every car is built with ultimate gear change efficiency in mind. Or we wouldnt have manual boxes.

Would love to dump the clutch on one of these souped up sewing machines!
TimXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2017, 03:04 PM   #36
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluey-GT View Post
It would be funny for sure
But what would that achieve...... ?
If this EV is designed to take on ICE hypercars, we should not be selective in how we compare them.... don't you think ?

Everyone knows a P100D was the quickest production car at the quarter mile but take one to the track and you'll be spending most of your time watching AMG's and M5's lap you while you wait for the batteries to cool down so you can charge your Tesla !

The 762hp P100D is quick no doubt but you'll never see one do a one mile run against other ICE powered cars, simply because they fall on their face beyond 200kph due to a little issue that all electric motors suffer from called 'magnetic saturation'.

I don't hate EV's but I know they will never be a proper replacement for the internal combustion engine.

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2017, 04:43 PM   #37
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent8 View Post
The 762hp P100D is quick no doubt but you'll never see one do a one mile run against other ICE powered cars, simply because they fall on their face beyond 200kph due to a little issue that all electric motors suffer from called 'magnetic saturation'.

I don't hate EV's but I know they will never be a proper replacement for the internal combustion engine.
That's why I'm waiting for Warp Drive.

Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-05-2017, 07:12 PM   #38
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
That's why I'm waiting for Warp Drive.

G'day all
Might have to wait til a future Star Date for that I'm afraid. I reckon Captain Kirk and Spock will get first div's anyway.
The speed governed top speed of a P100 D Tesla is 250 kmh at 1G and 0-100 in 2.7 seconds claimed but 3.1 seconds tested and does 0-160 kmh in 8.5 seconds or so. I'm betting it's chewing through the battery reserve pretty quick too at that sort of pace.
To be honest, until I just looked it up I didn't expect the top speed to be much more than 200-220 kmh. These EV's though have instant maximum torque from standstill which is why hyper car 0-100 kmh acceleration is the story.
The P 100 is a heavy bugger though at about 2.25 tonnes. The Aussie tested one is about $130 K like this one .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT6Khn7ZPDw .
Cheers Rod.

Last edited by roddy1960; 21-05-2017 at 07:28 PM.
Old 21-05-2017, 08:11 PM   #39
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
All that needs to happen is to fit some straight cut gears and you will have sound..

Not sure why the complaint about no sound, not like a new corolla makes any sound..
Those camry hybrid taxis moving around at near silence around car parks are an accident waiting to happen, especially with elderly folk or young children around..
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2017, 08:41 PM   #40
TimXR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Those camry hybrid taxis moving around at near silence around car parks are an accident waiting to happen, especially with elderly folk or young children around..
They actually have a pretty distinct sound. Loud enough to turn your head to have a look what it is. Infact you could say it's more noticeable than an ordinary car, because up close, it stands out from the chorus of combustion engines of general traffic. That is up close though, you wont hear it coming from up the street.

Many 1000s of prius and camry hybrid taxis operating around the country. They've replaced the falcon for top spot as taxis for many years now. No reports of mass casualties thus far.
TimXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2017, 11:33 PM   #41
Cruzycuzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent8 View Post
If this EV is designed to take on ICE hypercars, we should not be selective in how we compare them.... don't you think ?

Everyone knows a P100D was the quickest production car at the quarter mile but take one to the track and you'll be spending most of your time watching AMG's and M5's lap you while you wait for the batteries to cool down so you can charge your Tesla !

The Tesla is the Model T of EV's and i guess battery and electric motor tech will only get better with time.
As we all know, the ICE has had over a century to develop and refine it's technology so over the next 10 decades where will EV tech be?

Back in the early 1900's many people were saying the automobile will never properly replace the horse and buggy.
Cruzycuzz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2017, 02:27 AM   #42
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Love it! Also love the implication that they should slow it down and complicate it with a manual transmission just for the sake of nostalgia! Hehe
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2017, 12:31 PM   #43
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford17 View Post
Wonder if we can presume most electric vehicles will be quick?

Might this also mean the impending end of wheezing dual cab 4x4's, etc holding traffic up?
4x4 dual cabs are both the fastest and slowest vehicles on the roads. It depends who is driving them.

I think the people who are always holding everyone up are people in boring sedans and hatchbacks. Those drivers are always going slow. I give them a puff of black smoke as I pass them in my slow dual cab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallye Sport View Post
http://www.evworks.com.au/page/our-vehicles

Conversions are already taking place. I'm watching with interest the fella over the road building an electric Suzuki Sierra, learning alot from him.

Saw an electric Mustang at a EV 'come and try day' a while back. Didn't get to drive it but for ten bucks we got to drive four other cars, best fun I've had in a while and never thought it would be my old man that got cautioned for his spirited driving in the Volt

As for the lack of noise, a peg and a bit of cardboard worked on our bmx's as kids...

Actually a friend of a friend built an electric Deloren probably like 7 years ago. I don't know him but apparently he is an electrical engineer who loves cars and wanted to promote his business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Electric cars...the way of the future, no doubt.

This looks good too..

I myself cant wait until electric cars are mainstream..
True, save the oil for the classic ICE cars and people who like driving them.
I'm sure electric will be great for daily use, but I still would love a big v8 for the overall experience.

Last edited by Ben73; 22-05-2017 at 12:37 PM.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2017, 06:02 PM   #44
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
Changing of the guard from combustion to electric right here.

Car looks great, and very impressive how it did not move around at all. Loved the heavy breathing from the driver at the end of the straight, when breaking for the high speed turn in.

Sound- well reminds me playing scalextric with my brothers, the sound, controllers getting so hot that they burned your hands, and the smell of burning electric motors and frying brushes.

Like going back full circle.
Was going to say the same thing about the scalextric. Those things used to corner like they were on rails
Old 27-05-2017, 03:51 AM   #45
barnz_xr8
Turbo 358W

so if I go over to Africa with a team of race engineers and build a fast circuit car that's beats a production car, its then Africa that has the fastest car ????
barnz_xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2017, 10:46 AM   #46
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The beauty of Brushless A/C motors is there is maximum torque from the first revolution and the speed is infinite.....No need for any gearbox's....just put the pedal down further and the motor will rev faster.

Electric Counter balance forklifts also use a function called 'regenerative braking' which means if you decellerate by lifting the throttle the electric motor slows down and the controller reverses the poles in the A/C motor and starts recharging the battery.....A bit like engine braking in ICE's.

Electric forklifts use very big Lead Acid batteries that are VERY heavy....But that actually works as a counter weight to assist in lifting pallets of heavy stock out of warehouse racking at very high heights.

There's also a new material being developed called 'Graphene' that is apparently extreemly light and extreemely strong and will have all sorts of applications for manufacturing.

I'm pretty sure it has been said that it can be used to make rechargable batteries with very quick recharge times and it will greatly reduce battery weights compared to conventional lead batteries which would be great for road vehicles.

Give it another 3-5 years and we should really see some big changes.
GASWAGON is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2017, 01:58 PM   #47
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolBFWagon View Post
The beauty of Brushless A/C motors is there is maximum torque from the first revolution and the speed is infinite.....No need for any gearbox's....just put the pedal down further and the motor will rev faster.

Electric Counter balance forklifts also use a function called 'regenerative braking' which means if you decellerate by lifting the throttle the electric motor slows down and the controller reverses the poles in the A/C motor and starts recharging the battery.....A bit like engine braking in ICE's.

Electric forklifts use very big Lead Acid batteries that are VERY heavy....But that actually works as a counter weight to assist in lifting pallets of heavy stock out of warehouse racking at very high heights.

There's also a new material being developed called 'Graphene' that is apparently extreemly light and extreemely strong and will have all sorts of applications for manufacturing.

I'm pretty sure it has been said that it can be used to make rechargable batteries with very quick recharge times and it will greatly reduce battery weights compared to conventional lead batteries which would be great for road vehicles.

Give it another 3-5 years and we should really see some big changes.
It's not all strawberries and ice cream.
Yes electric motors will give you 100% torque from a standstill then it's all downhill from there. As rpm increases torque decreases.

Internal combustion engines and electric motors both have their strong points at the different ends of the spectrum.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2017, 07:10 PM   #48
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For a road car in Oz where the speed limit is max 110kph ( except for N.T) realistically all you need is high torque to pull the weight of the car up to the speed limit.

Thats why the F6's and XR6T kick *** because they pump out more Newton Metres from around 1,500 rpm's even in stock tune than the V8's.

Perfect for tradies as a workhorse pulling a trailer full of tools or campers towing caravans or motorbikes or even horse floats.
GASWAGON is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2017, 10:04 PM   #49
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
Internal combustion engines and electric motors both have their strong points at the different ends of the spectrum.
Combine them for the best of both worlds... and yet another new Nurburgring record, this time from the P1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4UD2N0EAdo
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2017, 12:55 PM   #50
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Combine them for the best of both worlds... and yet another new Nurburgring record, this time from the P1

Lol, didn't take long.
And with far less power. IIRC that chinese car used a 1000kw traction motor.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2017, 02:47 PM   #51
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post

I particularly like this bit.....

Quote:
During the final phases at Nurburgring Nordschleife, XP1LM achieved a fastest lap of 6.43.2. After setting this new lap record, the car then drove directly from Nurburgring back home to the UK.
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-05-2017, 02:10 AM   #52
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
It's not all strawberries and ice cream.
Yes electric motors will give you 100% torque from a standstill then it's all downhill from there. As rpm increases torque decreases.

That is why the biggest mining machinery uses electricity- massive torque to tracks of machinery the size of small ships, but move slowly and no need for speed.

Funny to see these massive machines with an electric lead running behind and plugged in the back.

Funny how Tesla and electrics is perceived as so cutting edge now. I remember in Armidale NSW as a little kid in 1970 seeing milk being delivered on these milk vans that had 2 rows of common car batteries running down a ramp each side of the vehicle, underneath the milk tray.

Electric cars been around a long time-having electric cars with batteries that hold a lot of charge and are quick to recharge, cheap to build and last a long time-well that still has not yet arrived?

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post